The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree112Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Members Fly Boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Ray: I know what you mean, excellent flies. JP sent me a container of about 12 flies a few years back, I still have most of them, the dries are just so pretty I can't seem to fish with them. I have however, fished with a few of his nymphs that are pretty effective over here.
Larry . they are proper flyfishing flies, if you know what I mean , I tied some grey dusters up and you can see them a couple of rows up from the Nymphs in my box, classic pattern and catch plenty of Trout on the Stream.

I must of looked at that box of flies over a dozen times.

Class
Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 PM

bighorn flies has a spectacular aura aboutbighorn flies has a spectacular aura about

I Love this thread!!! Some very impressing boxes! My boxes are too big to post pics. I would get into trouble for spamming.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:54 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
Hey Greg which box is this? C&F?
Thanks,
Watson
Old 02-10-2013, 08:35 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Yep. Black large CF design system waterproof box with inserts and optional leaf. I had the leaf but the sticky adhesive didn't stick so well. I threw the leaf out. I got a white and black one.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 02-10-2013, 09:26 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Members Fly Boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson View Post
Hey Greg which box is this? C&F?
Thanks,
Watson
Right on shotgunfly... It is the 3510...came with the swing leaf with 10 rows on each side.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:51 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Quote:
WOW!!!
I'm jealous. I'm not that good of tier, and all of your boxes look like a vendor getting ready to stock the local shop. what a great assortment of flies you guys have.
Quote:
Great boxes!

Always shames me into start tying more
Quote:
WOW Ok, Ok those are all Fabulous

However, you guys can't possibly ever use all those & their weighting you down when your fishing.........

Being the kinda guy I am & concerned that you don't ruin your back & hence your ability to fly fish......all you have to do is put 1 of each of your flies or half of all your flies in an envelope & send them to me & I will carry the burden & weight...

So that you guys are able to enjoy many more years fly-fishing

So just PM me for my address
Folks, the best way to stock up on flies is to tie a little at a time, when you can. I'm sure most of us who have such large collections, didn't do it over night. It can be done, but tying should be fun, not just a means to fill boxes. When I was tying commercially, many dozens of the same flies, it can get to be work & quite monotonous, so now I restrict my tying to a few of each pattern, usually a dozen or less and will often switch to something completely different after tying one pattern. Breaks up the monotony & allows me to add different fly types to what I already have tied. Sometimes, I'm tying the same pattern type, but perhaps changing colors or hook sizes.

Even if you only tie about an hour per day, or every other day, it will be surprising how fast the flies accumulate. And for those who feel their tying is not good, the best way to improve is to do it as often as you can!

Roofish, thanks for the concern about the well being of the members!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:52 PM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough

Awesome thread. Definitely inspiration for those of us just getting started.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

As usual when our members start posting fly boxes the results are breathtaking. While I still have all my dry fly boxes and some nymphs & wets from trout fishing the lower 48 for many years I began building salmon fishing boxes in 1980. Over the years I added additional boxes as they seemed to be needed. Now I have boxes that contain flies for specific species of salmon as well as trout / steelhead patterns.

Here's the one that has the highest level of hope in its clips, my King Salmon box.

A closer look at the flies; many on the left leaf are flies received from others with wishes for their use. One of them so far has landed 2 kings. The other patterns although simple have proven themselves over the years so I stay the course with them.

I'll stick with the thread and see some more of the boxes that are posted, (awesome show of fly tying) and add some pictures of flies from boxes for other species in additional posts. I've reached my limits and don't plan on more fly boxes............ Unless I find a deal on a swing leaf 80 clip #5 box that is
bigjim5589, mcnerney and rayzor like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Banned

rayzor will become famous soon enoughrayzor will become famous soon enough

Hi HardyReels ,
great looking Salmon Flies. also its great when you've got a few flies of fellow Anglers alike, it all makes what fishing is all about .... enjoyment and helping and sharing knowledge.
Experience passed on is a great gain to anyone who fishes.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Ray,

You must be a posting machine You've joined up while I was away so I'll take this moment to say "Welcome to the forum".

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;