The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Flies (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/)
-   -   Favorite alewife patterns (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/310282-favorite-alewife-patterns.html)

brookfieldangler 02-07-2013 03:13 PM

Favorite alewife patterns

I am looking for some good alewife patterns for some Lake Michigan harbor fishing for king salmon.

Any body have any favorites?

Rip Tide 02-07-2013 04:27 PM

Re: Favorite alewife patterns

The Rhody flatwing is my go-to
You can adjust the color anyway you like as long as you remember to keep it very sparse.
I skip the peacock topping myself as it tends to foul and instead substitute some dark bucktail. Purple or Navy blue

Rhody Flat Wing

(I just read the recipe.... before tying in the tail hackle (step 3) you need a "pillow" to keep the tail from fouling
This is nothing more than a dubbing bump tied in on top of the bucktail wraps at the end of step 2.
I use the fluff off of the saddle hackle, but you can use anything that's sitting around)

Rip Tide 02-12-2013 05:28 PM

I'm bumpin' this up to see if there's anymore responses.

I've also used big all yellow deceivers. They've always worked just fine, but may not be "refined" enough for some folk. ;)

Alewifes were once so common where I grew up that you could practically walk across the lesser river tributaries on their backs. Now there's a moratorium on taking and possession of all river herrings

brookfieldangler 02-12-2013 06:17 PM

Thanks for the bump and the responses!

I have been doing some research and it seems like big ole deceivers are a great fly.

A few tying ideas are coming from here
Shop Our Online Fly Selection

Now I just have to figure out how to cast this shooting head set up I have. I am struggling with the hinging effect caused by have the actual head out of the tip a bit.

theboz 02-12-2013 07:13 PM

Dark blue over yellow over white bucktail with a stick on holographic eye. Don't see the Alewives like in the past sometimes they crowd the rivermouths and this was a go to pattern . Yellow bucktails as well.

bigjim5589 02-12-2013 10:57 PM

Boz, that sounds like Waterman's Silver Outcast! That's a good one!

There have always been schools of Alewives in the Chesapeake, as long as I can remember, and a Deceiver has been my most used choice. Usually white with a black or dark blue back & lots of pearl & silver flash. :)

zum 03-17-2013 01:51 PM

How about a zonkers,any white or silver variation...black/blue thrown in.