The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 12:38 AM

shimloom will become famous soon enough
Default Klinkhammer

I was wondering if anyone uses the Klinkhammer. I started fishing this fly last year and did so good on it I have been buying them in lots of sizes and colors. What are your experience with this fly.
Craig
Old 02-16-2013, 08:35 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Klinkhammer

I haven't fished with them yet, but I have tied one or two of them up. Great looking flies that are supposed to be highly productive.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:37 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Klinkhammer

This pattern is a 'Standard, in the fly box' if you live in the UK.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:51 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I like it and find it to be a useful pattern, especially as an emerger. For that I tie it in 16's or 18's. As a 12 or 14 it can make a good 'indicator' for a small nymph or dry fly that would be hard to see on the water. You can tie it in really any mayfly pattern, just tweek the dubbing and hackle. Can also use a bit of foam on the top if you want a more buoyant indicator.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:26 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I fished these flies last year (dry fly nut) and was struck at how productive they are. I only fished this dry fly (last year) in different sizes and colors and they all work very very well. It is a standard in the UK, when I lived there I am not sure if they were available or not. Going to see how well I do this year on them.

Craig)
Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

It's one of the best emerging patterns around. Depending on size, color, and dress, a Klinkhammer could represent a caddis or a mayfly.

If you plan on tying them, I highly suggest using the Partridge brand Klinkhammer hooks. They have the right bend and gap.

Dennis
mcnerney likes this.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:20 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold
Default Klinkhammer

I have fished them a lot in both rivers and still waters. Very productive and as has been stated by others a standard in the UK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-20-2013, 10:31 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post
I was wondering if anyone uses the Klinkhammer. I started fishing this fly last year and did so good on it I have been buying them in lots of sizes and colors. What are your experience with this fly.
Craig
If you want to try a version of a klinkhammer before buying it, cut the tail fibers off of a parachute, and bend the hook down 30-45 degrees behind the post.

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.wrvtu.org/newsletter/PDF/...%20version.pdf
mcnerney likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 02-20-2013, 10:39 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

To anyone interested in the history behind and a tutorial on the Klinkhamer Special might want to check this out Klinkhmer special
Old 02-20-2013, 11:41 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I'd tie more if I had the right hooks. Putting them on the list. Great idea on bending the hook too.