The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By frogg
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589
  • 1 Post By sandfly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 12:19 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough
Default A few warmwater flies

I'm basically a new tyer. I've tied probably 50 woolly buggers as well as a bunch of foam body bugs, but that pretty much covers it. So I've been spending some time tying a couple new ones.
After seeing brookfieldangler's Senko fly, I had to tye some for my local bass.
Click the image to open in full size.
I couldn't find the Bohemian chenille he mentioned, but I improvised with some thick, stong yarn. We'll see how that plays out at a later date...

Here is a crawfish pattern that I tyed a few of. It came from a few different patterns I've seen before. Again, not having all the correct materials, I made due with what I had on hand.
Question: Should I trim the hackle shorter on the bottom of the crawfish? And maybe off the back? Also, I saw one pattern had pieces of foam for claws. I'm thinking of added some...

Pink buggers have always done great on crappies for me, so I tyed up another dozen.

I was running low on olive buggers, too.

Thanks for looking
Critiques welcome.

Chris
mudbug and brookfieldangler like this.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:26 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: A few warmwater flies

You're doing OK with the little experience you have. They'll all catch some fish. I don't know what to say about the senko type fly, except let us know how it does for you. Senko style plastic baits have a particular action as they fall, and I'm not so sure it can be duplicated with yarn. That does not however mean that fly won't catch some fish.

IMO, the crayfish could have used a different hackle, something more brown or olive & with shorter fibers or no hackle at all. Tie the hackle in by the tip & wrap forward & you'll get a nice taper to it. Works well when tying buggers too.

That style is similar to some of the "Bonefish" or "Flats" types of flies, which I like to use as crayfish patterns, and I don't add a hackle to the body. Don't clip the hackle, the fibers provide movement, especially at rest, which is not something you want to remove from a crayfish fly. I do like that variegated chenille body, that's a good color combination!

I'm a fan of pink buggers too for Crappies, and olive as well for many species. The only critique I can make is I feel the olive bugger could have used a bit more marabou in the tail.

Looks like you may be using marabou from a turkey flat, where you have to remove the fibers from the sides of the feather. They're OK, but blood quill marabou IMO, makes a nicer looking tail on a bugger. I tie some big buggers so will put 2 blood quill feathers together for the tails on my buggers. On smaller sizes a single feather is fine. However, use what you have for now, as the fish won't likely care either way. Just something to keep in mind when you need more marabou.

Here's some buggers I tied recently. These are all size 1, tied on worm hooks. The tails are tied with blood quill marabou & the hackle is tied in by the tip & wrapped towards the eye. I also like to use some of the fluff at the base of the hackle when wrapping buggers.

Slightly different versions!
frogg likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Last edited by bigjim5589; 02-21-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:38 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
You're doing OK with the little experience you have. They'll all catch some fish. I don't know what to say about the senko type fly, except let us know how it does for you. Senko style plastic baits have a particular action as they fall, and I'm not so sure it can be duplicated with yarn. That does not however mean that fly won't catch some fish.

The senko will work i tie them with yarn all the time along with chenilles.

brookfieldangler likes this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 02-21-2013, 09:16 PM

frogg will become famous soon enoughfrogg will become famous soon enough

Thank you for your input, bigjim. I'll be picking up some more hackle in the near future. I'll pay attention to what kind it is.
Sandfly, I use Senko type worms with spin gear a lot. I don't see why these tied worms won't work.

Chris
Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Chris, you're welcome! If you want to tie a fairly easy pattern that imitates crayfish, take a look at the Squimp. It's another saltwater fly, but still makes a good crayfish & that variegated chenille would do a fine job on it too.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!