The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 12:02 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Testing Dubbing Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnative1948 View Post
Wow! Thanks! Never even crossed my mind. I could end up with buffalosise
Guessing if I use a little of the Mrs unscented Woolite that she washed hand washes sweaters in should work. Thanks again.
It is actually Brucellosis, and is endemic in Yellowstone Bison. If you contracted it from dubbing fur, it would be very rare but not impossible. Some of the fur could have been contaminated by saliva or a scrape.

"More than 50 percent of the bison in YNP test positive for brucellosis. A positive test indicates that animals have been exposed and are most likely infected."

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_hea...ttle-bison.pdf

"Bacteria can also enter wounds in the skin/mucous membranes through contact with infected animals.

CDC - Transmission - Brucellosis

CDC - Prevention - Brucellosis
mcnerney likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-06-2013, 07:44 PM

idnative1948 is on a distinguished road

Thanks! Well aware it is brucellosis. Was just a play on words. And yes, you can catch all sorts of disease handling animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
It is actually Brucellosis, and is endemic in Yellowstone Bison. If you contracted it from dubbing fur, it would be very rare but not impossible. Some of the fur could have been contaminated by saliva or a scrape.

"More than 50 percent of the bison in YNP test positive for brucellosis. A positive test indicates that animals have been exposed and are most likely infected."

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_hea...ttle-bison.pdf

"Bacteria can also enter wounds in the skin/mucous membranes through contact with infected animals.

CDC - Transmission - Brucellosis

CDC - Prevention - Brucellosis
Old 03-08-2013, 07:23 AM

catspaw is on a distinguished road

Click the image to open in full size.I have a few Scottish Highlanders (cows) on my property that love to scratch on the barbed wire fencing. Everywhere they scratch they leave a ball of fur that sounds like the bison fur you're talking about. This stuff makes great bonefish flies as I have red, tan, and white animals. I also use the underfur from brushing my dead grass colored Chesapeake Bay retriever. If I want dubbing I put in my coffee grinder (dedicated to the tying bench) and give it a whirl. The stuff works great.Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by catspaw; 03-08-2013 at 07:51 AM. Reason: add image