The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Flies (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/)
-   -   Testing Dubbing Material (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/312605-testing-dubbing-material.html)

idnative1948 03-04-2013 09:32 PM

Testing Dubbing Material

Some years ago I was in Yellowstone Park and picked and a couple of large handfulls of the fine winter hair that buffalo put on (they had been rubbing a tree). Really soft fluffy stuff, dark brown. I was checking out my supplies last night and came across it again. Got me to thinking, "Should I try tying something with it?"
What say you? Should I even consider it?

noreaster 03-04-2013 09:36 PM

Re: Testing Dubbing Material

Why not? If it is fine enough to spin then it could work fine. Nothing ventured nothing gained.:D

idnative1948 03-04-2013 10:03 PM

Plenty soft. I just pulled it back out a minute ago to look at it again and rolled some through my fingers. One thing I noticed is that the fiber is really short. Deal breaker?

Quote:

Originally Posted by noreaster (Post 533306)
Why not? If it is fine enough to spin then it could work fine. Nothing ventured nothing gained.:D

theboz 03-04-2013 10:51 PM

Bet you it will work really well! Just don't tell to many people you removed it from a tree in Yellowstone ,you may get yelled at!

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

;):d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

coug 03-05-2013 07:30 AM

This company

Fly tying fiber

was at the FFF last August in Spokane. They had a sampler pack that I picked up, but haven't tried it yet.

noreaster 03-05-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idnative1948 (Post 533311)
Plenty soft. I just pulled it back out a minute ago to look at it again and rolled some through my fingers. One thing I noticed is that the fiber is really short. Deal breaker?

Not at all. In fact, many dubbin recipes call for a whip in the coffee grinder. This will make the fibers very short but still spinable.

idnative1948 03-05-2013 09:29 AM

Coug- Thanks for the link. Can't wait to get back up North fishing, but alas, will most likely not be until retirement in two years.

N'easter- Thanks for the info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coug (Post 533405)
This company

Fly tying fiber

was at the FFF last August in Spokane. They had a sampler pack that I picked up, but haven't tried it yet.

rockriver 03-05-2013 10:08 AM

Thanks for the link.

silver creek 03-05-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idnative1948 (Post 533304)
Some years ago I was in Yellowstone Park and picked and a couple of large handfulls of the fine winter hair that buffalo put on (they had been rubbing a tree). Really soft fluffy stuff, dark brown. I was checking out my supplies last night and came across it again. Got me to thinking, "Should I try tying something with it?"
What say you? Should I even consider it?

First, don't lick your fingers while tying with the raw fur. You don't know what can be carried on wild animals. Use a dampened sponge in a dish.

You can also hand wash the hair with some gentle soap and warm water. You will surprised at how much dirt comes out of the fur.

idnative1948 03-05-2013 09:52 PM

Wow! Thanks! Never even crossed my mind. I could end up with buffalosise:confused:
Guessing if I use a little of the Mrs unscented Woolite that she washed hand washes sweaters in should work. Thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver creek (Post 533449)
First, don't lick your fingers while tying with the raw fur. You don't know what can be carried on wild animals. Use a dampened sponge in a dish.

You can also hand wash the hair with some gentle soap and warm water. You will surprised at how much dirt comes out of the fur.