The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 PM

idnative1948 is on a distinguished road
Default Testing Dubbing Material

Some years ago I was in Yellowstone Park and picked and a couple of large handfulls of the fine winter hair that buffalo put on (they had been rubbing a tree). Really soft fluffy stuff, dark brown. I was checking out my supplies last night and came across it again. Got me to thinking, "Should I try tying something with it?"
What say you? Should I even consider it?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:36 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Testing Dubbing Material

Why not? If it is fine enough to spin then it could work fine. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:03 PM

Plenty soft. I just pulled it back out a minute ago to look at it again and rolled some through my fingers. One thing I noticed is that the fiber is really short. Deal breaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
Why not? If it is fine enough to spin then it could work fine. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:51 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Bet you it will work really well! Just don't tell to many people you removed it from a tree in Yellowstone ,you may get yelled at!

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-05-2013, 07:30 AM

coug will become famous soon enough

This company

Fly tying fiber

was at the FFF last August in Spokane. They had a sampler pack that I picked up, but haven't tried it yet.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnative1948 View Post
Plenty soft. I just pulled it back out a minute ago to look at it again and rolled some through my fingers. One thing I noticed is that the fiber is really short. Deal breaker?
Not at all. In fact, many dubbin recipes call for a whip in the coffee grinder. This will make the fibers very short but still spinable.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 AM

Coug- Thanks for the link. Can't wait to get back up North fishing, but alas, will most likely not be until retirement in two years.

N'easter- Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug View Post
This company

Fly tying fiber

was at the FFF last August in Spokane. They had a sampler pack that I picked up, but haven't tried it yet.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Thanks for the link.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnative1948 View Post
Some years ago I was in Yellowstone Park and picked and a couple of large handfulls of the fine winter hair that buffalo put on (they had been rubbing a tree). Really soft fluffy stuff, dark brown. I was checking out my supplies last night and came across it again. Got me to thinking, "Should I try tying something with it?"
What say you? Should I even consider it?
First, don't lick your fingers while tying with the raw fur. You don't know what can be carried on wild animals. Use a dampened sponge in a dish.

You can also hand wash the hair with some gentle soap and warm water. You will surprised at how much dirt comes out of the fur.
mcnerney and alexs like this.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-05-2013, 09:52 PM

Wow! Thanks! Never even crossed my mind. I could end up with buffalosise
Guessing if I use a little of the Mrs unscented Woolite that she washed hand washes sweaters in should work. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
First, don't lick your fingers while tying with the raw fur. You don't know what can be carried on wild animals. Use a dampened sponge in a dish.

You can also hand wash the hair with some gentle soap and warm water. You will surprised at how much dirt comes out of the fur.