The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 05:24 PM

loringj will become famous soon enoughloringj will become famous soon enough
Default My First Flies

Few weeks ago I picked up a fly tying starter kit at Basspro to try my hand at tying. I really enjoy it, just bought a better vise that arrived yesterday, since the one in the kit was not that great and kept loosening and spinning around. Here are some of the first flies I learned to make. The wooly buggers were the first, and I played around with different colors.

Justin

JustinClick the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My First Flies

Justin: Nice work!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:04 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Very good. Fish catchers for sure!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:04 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Impressive for first flies. Mine were pretty abusive for sure.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:40 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

That olive woolly bugger will be deadly!

Randy
Old 03-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great job Justin ,congratsYou will catch fish with them!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:29 PM

coloradocaddis970 will become famous soon enough

Start working on your midges and nymphs. they can take anywhere from 3-4 minutes to tie and the ratio of money spent on materials to the amount you'd spend on flies it outstandingly in your favor. you'll be surprised how quickly you can fill your box with homemade brews. Check out Charlie's FlyBox - Metro Denver, Colorado's Best Fly Fishing Retailer (flyshop) with online Fly Tying Tutorials .......brews from the infamous Mr. Craven!! Other than that those dries look 10x better than my first dries. Tight Lines!!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Justin.
The Flies you have Tyed will surely catch Fish for you..It's always good to see someone else getting HOOKED on FlyTying.
Brian.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:58 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Great first attempts, will catch fish for sure.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:14 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, those are nice looking flies that should get you on the fish. Try a bugger with a black tail and olive body.