Snow shoe vs. Deer/Elk

alexs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I ordered some snow shoe rabbit feet and I intend to replace the deer/elk on some of the dry flies (caddis) I tie, especially in the smaller sizes (#14,16,18?). Here are my questions:
1. How do this materials compare from point of view of floatability?
2. Do you stack the snow shoe fur/hair (after cleaning the underfur), or just tie it in the way you cut it off the foot?
3. Are there any "tricks" (you are willing to share) about working with snow shoe feet fur/hair?

I would greatly appreciate any help that would shorten the learning curve.

Thanks,
Alex

wt bash

Reaction score
It all depends on the water you cast them in. Elk will float like a cork in a riffle compared to deer hair, snow shoe floats pretty well in faster stuff but I like it better on slower streams or big flat pools and glides. I don't stack it (show shoe), never tried either, I just try to get a fair amount of guard hairs and fluff. Save the underfur for dubbing!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The snowshoe rabbit floats a lot better than than deer or elk and you don't stack it. It's "crinkly" and it just don't work that way.
You'll see that there's different textures on different parts of the foot.
Between the toes is longest and makes for good winging material. The underside is shorter but especially water repent and makes good body dubbing.
It's all pretty "slippery" so tie it in a little at a time.
You can use it like you would CDC

jaybo41

Reaction score
These guys have made great comments about the differences. Snow Shoe is a little bit more tricky to work with the first time you do it, but the more you work with it, the easier it gets. I really like SS for emerger patterns. Add a shuck and you're in business.

silver creek

Reaction score
Mark (peregrines) did a nice SBS for the "Usual". A fly by Fran Betters that uses only snowshoe.
The Usual was the forerunner of the compara-dun series
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-patterns/63252-usual-sbs.html
Fran Better's invented many famous flies. The Usual is one.

The haystack is probably my favorite because it preceded the comparadun and Swisher and Richards developed the comparadun from it.

However, Frans favorite of his patterns neither of those. It is the Ausable Wulff.

RIP Fran.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/14/sports/14betters.html?_r=0

Fran Betters: a lifetime of fishing

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

You could tie up some Foot Wing Spinners.

Foot Wing Spinners

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Here is one of my favorites, Tom Rosenbauer's Rabbit's Foot Emerger:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb2gG44lzEs]Tying a Rabbit's Foot Emerger Fly - YouTube[/ame]

alexs

Reaction score
Here is one of my favorites, Tom Rosenbauer's Rabbit's Foot Emerger:
Tying a Rabbit's Foot Emerger Fly - YouTube
Nice one! I used something similar for the last two years, but I made the wing out of a bit of poly yarn, topped off with deer. Thanks!

I'll start out with the emerger, the "usual" and some spinners. I might add some X-caddises with light (pale yellow,tan) and dark (olive, brown, and black) body.

Thanks for the info,
Alex

monkeyboy

Reaction score
SS foot fur makes excellent dubbing , I like to blend it with Antron and other yarns. Snow Shoe foot is one of my all time favorites.
I have tied one emerger, I need some practice....

buzz

labtrout

Reaction score
That's a great video showing the RF Emerger by Rosenbauer. It's one of the patterns I've used with great success over the years, but I had never see a video on tying it. I tie mine mainly to imitate emerging caddis in brownish/olive and natural, but it also make a great Sulfur emerger tied in yellow.

One tip: Blend a bit of the snowshoe rabbit underfur with your dubbing on the head of the fly. It looks buggier and also floats higher.

monkeyboy

Reaction score
That's a great video showing the RF Emerger by Rosenbauer. It's one of the patterns I've used with great success over the years, but I had never see a video on tying it. I tie mine mainly to imitate emerging caddis in brownish/olive and natural, but it also make a great Sulfur emerger tied in yellow.

One tip: Blend a bit of the snowshoe rabbit underfur with your dubbing on the head of the fly. It looks buggier and also floats higher.
now there is some excellent advice.
thanks for posting

buzz

labtrout

Reaction score
HTML:
Now I think I need a snowshoe to tie with. grrr
I've picked up snowshoe rabbit's feet for as little as $3. Just make sure they are genuine snowshoe, which have more of the natural oils, or lanolin, that keep the feet of the rabbit dry. Regular rabbit's foot fur does not float your fly nearly as well and does not have that "crinkly" texture.[/QUOTE]

greg_h

Reaction score
Regardless of what part you choose, you will find the foot MUCH more usable if you first take a sharp knife (careful, don't cut yourself, the foot is tough), and slice the foot down from the top between the two main front toes. Then split the foot lengthwise. (Maybe use some work gloves - the bones splinter like chicken and can be sharp.)
The fur on the bottom of the foot is about twice as long as you think it is when viewed from 'outside'. And when cutting the hair on a non-split foot you have to dig down with the scissors (which are on somewhat of an angle). This wastes hair and doesn't allow you to get a chunk as long or as clean as you might like. Once the foot is split you cut straight in for the hair you want. You have a better view of the quality of hair, and you get a cleaner snip.