The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 07:01 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What do you do with all the flies?

to all of you that end up with extra flies & no room let me give you my address...
pkins44 and coloradocaddis970 like this.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:23 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Thanks all for the input. I like the donation idea, sounds like a good way to go.
Rich
Old 03-25-2013, 07:10 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Hi Rich,
Donation is indeed the best way to go. Our local FF club collects flies from the members for donation to CFR and for the various local programs for school age kids who want to start in the sport.
Another thing I find very satisfying is handing out a few successful (that day) patterns to some of the fellow anglers I meet on the streams. Good karma has a knack of paying dividends

cheers,
Shrish
Old 03-26-2013, 07:41 AM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

When I started tying the rejects went in the box. Now, I cull my fly boxes every year. The ones that are worn or no longer up to standards go into the box. The box has become a conversation piece.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:52 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I keep two jars at my tying desk. (1) for stripping hook and retying. (2) give to FF club for new groups.
I give away many flies to friends; people I meet streamside out of my fly boxes with a mental note to retie some if needed.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:38 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post

The new problem is too many flies. ...

I fish a lot and will always consider myself a fisherman that ties rather than a tier that fishes but even so, there is no way I will ever go through all these flies in my lifetime and I'm just getting started. So, what do you avid tiers do with all the flies?

Rich

One of my good friend heads the Project Healing Waters at Fort Belvior for the Wounded Warriors Program. He wrote me back.

"We would put them in fly boxes and distribute them to the soldiers and marines in our Healing Waters programs"

I Pm'd you with information on how to donate.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 03-26-2013, 09:00 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I give a lot away. As I get better and better at tying a pattern I find I don't want to fish some of my older ones anyways. I also get a lot of pleasure hearing people caught fish on flies I have tied, not as much as catching them myself but I'll keep giving a lot away.
I'm with William. I tie for myself and my friends. I enjoy learning and giving them away. Always happy to give flies away on the stream when I run into someone and strike up good conversation. I should probably consider going through my boxes and make a pile to send for a donation.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:36 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough

i recently purchased 2 wooden fly boxes from jbird. i 'll need to fill these up if you want to post any pics of flies for sale i'll be looking. thanx
Old 04-01-2013, 10:40 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I was pm'd with a request to post my friend's email addy so some of you can contact him directly on how to donate to Project Healing Waters for the wounded soldiers and marines at Fort Belvior.

He wrote me that, ""Everything we get goes to our Project Healing Waters programs. We would put them in fly boxes and distribute them to the soldiers and marines. My friend, Marty Laksbergs, the Program Lead for the Quantico Program, also helps me out by attending our Fort Belvoir meetings. Marty and I share everything we get and we do joint trips to save money."

https://www.facebook.com/BelvoirPHW

https://www.facebook.com/QuanticoPHW

Please PM me if you want to know how to donate flies. I can't put his private email up because of spam bots that troll the BBs for email addies.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 04-01-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:03 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Back before life got busy and I was tying a little nearly every night, I used to fill my boxes and the rest went into those plano divider boxes.

Eventually ended up with a gear bag of 4 plano boxes in the back of the car. Just about every one I knew who fished picked through them and many people I just meet.

Is a very gratifying thing to hand something like that to someone in their first season and say "Take what you need."

Oddly, I found 6 packs and all kinds of things at my car some nights. Weirdest thing I 'found' was one of those "he's a friend of ours / give him a warning" state police stickers with some initials on it.

I really like the donation idea.