The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 11:01 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What do you do with all the flies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I give a lot away. As I get better and better at tying a pattern I find I don't want to fish some of my older ones anyways. I also get a lot of pleasure hearing people caught fish on flies I have tied, not as much as catching them myself but I'll keep giving a lot away.
same here, gave a doz. to my b-in-law for his birthday today. glad I did, cause it got me to thinking about a new streamer pattern and man is it killer.

got way to many flies couldn't use em up in three lifetimes so giving them to other anglers is a no brainer.

I like the practice and the time at the bench is enjoyable like being on the water but different.

buzz
mcnerney likes this.

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 11-29-2013, 09:15 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I give 1/2 of what I tie away. My buddy and my brother in law I fish with regularly as well as his son (nephew) are the recipients.

Sometimes I sit down and tie up staples and give them some to make sure their box is full. Other times I will read about a pattern that's working well and sit down and tie up a few dozen before we go and I give them each 6 or 8 flies for the day of each pattern.

Planning a donation project for this winter.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

This thread got me to thinking we should start a collection for both the Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery programs. I have started a new thread requesting donations, if you have existing flies or are willing to tie some up let me know and I will forward my address. The flies do not have to be all the same pattern, but they do need to be new (please don't send in used flies). Thanks in advance!

Flies for Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery

Larry

Old 11-29-2013, 08:22 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

My fishing buddy who first taught me how to tie flies told me that if you're a tier, you are obligated to give flies away and share them with friends. I give a lot of flies to friends, and it's a big thrill when they catch fish with them. I also give flies to anglers I meet on the river--sort of a "nice to meet you and fish with you" present.

I really like the idea of donating flies to charitable causes, especially Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery. While I'm happy to donate flies to worthy Americans, does anyone know if there are comparable programs in Canada I could also donate flies to?

Larry, if you send me a pm with your address I'll send along some flies.

Scott
Old 12-10-2013, 08:06 PM

meathelmet has a spectacular aura aboutmeathelmet has a spectacular aura about

I just started fly fishing about 6 months ago and tying around a month. I would be more than happy to take some flys off someones hands at least that would give me an idea how they are supposed to look and not my "Frankenstein" flys!