The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 11:15 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about
Default What do you do with all the flies?

Up until recently I was perfectly happy to buy my flies. Then I found a fly I wanted but couldn't find it anywhere so I decided I could learn how to tie and make my own. Mission accomplished, tested it out a couple weeks ago when it got warm enough for the guides to not freeze and had a successful day.

The new problem is too many flies. I have probably a couple thousand that I bought and now I'm tying like crazy and accumulating dozens and dozens more. When I started I took a razor blade to most of them and started over. I find a new technique and want to learn how to do it. I will tie at least a dozen or so of any pattern to get the hang of it, then of course one needs them in multiple sizes and colors..... Then moving on to the next new technique and a few dozen more. I'm new to this so there is much to learn which translates to tying a ton of flies to practice enough to get competent and so on and so on.

I fish a lot and will always consider myself a fisherman that ties rather than a tier that fishes but even so, there is no way I will ever go through all these flies in my lifetime and I'm just getting started. So, what do you avid tiers do with all the flies?

Rich
jaybo41 and parsond like this.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:24 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you do with all the flies?

I give a lot away. As I get better and better at tying a pattern I find I don't want to fish some of my older ones anyways. I also get a lot of pleasure hearing people caught fish on flies I have tied, not as much as catching them myself but I'll keep giving a lot away.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Rich...you can contact Larry(McNerney) who collects flies for Casting For Recovery
Old 03-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I go through flies at pretty good clip. Even at that though, I still tie more than I use. The ones I don't are always for some other place. Like Tarpon flies, or Steelhead flies. At some point I get around to using them. Plus tying different styles let's you learn things and just makes you a better tyer.

Then there is the give away thing. McNerney's thing, friends, fly swaps on here etc. It's not hard to find a place to send them.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:23 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about

Start giving them out to friends you fish with or ask local shops if they want them. It if u don't wanna give them away sell them on here or on eBay.. And buy more materials and hooks with the money made.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:37 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Sell them on here. Ppl always looking for flies. I'd like to tie my own, but seems like I never find the time. So, I buy them by the dozen off of eBay from 2 or 3 different sellers.
To gain some practice, maybe you could propose a pattern you want to tie and see if anyone is interested in a dzn? Just my .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2013, 01:45 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I give a lot away. As I get better and better at tying a pattern I find I don't want to fish some of my older ones anyways. I also get a lot of pleasure hearing people caught fish on flies I have tied, not as much as catching them myself but I'll keep giving a lot away.
Me too. A lot of my friends have asked me to teach them how to fly fish. They usually end up with some of my older usable flies. I ask them that if they ever get into a situation like mine that they pay down the favor to someone else.

My old flies that are so beat up usually see the razor blade. It's always nice to resurrect an old soldier.

Dennis
yonder likes this.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:35 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Rich...you can contact Larry(McNerney) who collects flies for Casting For Recovery

I did that last year. Was a good excuse to sit down a tie a few dozen. I give some away. I've given a couple of good friends boxes of about 40-50 steelhead flies in the best patterns for around here. You are also always improving; I went through my boxes and practiced some birth control by going after flies that I knew I could do a better job of now.

Bottom line is I also carry more of them because I have a bigger collection. The "trend" to go minimalist and just carry one box was not made popular by people who tie their own! I was looking at new vests last year and didn't like many of them because they could not hold the four boxes I always carry when trout fishing.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:30 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

I ended up in the same situation a number of years ago. Very simple solution, give them away. I get great pleasure from tying my own and even greater pleasure when others get the benefits of my efforts.
I love to give them away to guys new to the sport and also any charitable organisations.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:54 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

One can never have too many flies. That being said I tie a lot and give away a lot. If a particular fly is working for me and I talk to someone on the river I give them three of four. I donate flies to Casting for Recovery, my local TU chapter, and also to PHW. I also tie flies for my brothers and fill some rows in their boxes.

Randy