The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 12:28 PM

fly505 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Clouser Minnow for trout

Woah! Beautiful cutthroat! That clouser looks to be a nice imitation of a small brown trout....thanks for sharing the pics
Old 04-08-2013, 08:43 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Color choice will depend on the food supply available to the trout.

Light olive over white with a hint of pink for a lateral line can represent a small rainbow trout.

Dark olive over light olive could represent a sculpin. Same goes for brown over tan.

I also use chartreuse over white. I'm not sure what that represents, but it works sometimes.

Dennis
Your post inspired me to give these a try. My first clouser;

Click the image to open in full size.

I think I'm gonna like these! Thanks.

Also; anything I'm doing wrong? Should the head be olive? Tail too long? etc thanks (sorry if this is a hijack)
von behr and kglissmeyer1 like this.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:04 PM

Seriously no worries on hijacking...this is great! Wanted a good discussion on these types of streamers....love when pics are used. Very nice clouser might I add. Looks just like a juvenile rainbow. What dumbell eyes are those?!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:58 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly505 View Post
Seriously no worries on hijacking...this is great! Wanted a good discussion on these types of streamers....love when pics are used. Very nice clouser might I add. Looks just like a juvenile rainbow. What dumbell eyes are those?!
Thanks, the eyes are Spirit River inc. "Real-Eyes Plus" 7/32" nickel/red

John
Old 04-09-2013, 09:29 AM

Nice! Those look great...gonna have to pick up some of their eyes for sure. Love the hint of pink bucktail. Well....now I'm just gonna have to tie some up thanks for sharing.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:21 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Wanna!
Fish it as it is. That should get some fish.

Dennis
Old 04-09-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Hey Wanna!
Fish it as it is. That should get some fish.

Dennis
Thanks, I hope it does

And since the O.P. doesn't mind I've got more pics.
Tied another couple in Brown Trout and Mickey Finn styles:

Old 04-09-2013, 06:23 PM

Don't mind in the least! Looks great! How does the Mickey Finn fish compared to the ever popular chartreuse/white? Man you gotta get some water time with those and let us know which fished better. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:11 PM

I haven't fished a Mickey Finn much but some guys here swear by them for trout AND salmon (without the weight btw as it is illegal here). It represents a general baitfish pattern; not anything specific that I know of. Definitely going to try these May 1st when the season starts on the river. I was just about to tie one with Chartreuse/white now that you mention it.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:04 PM

That's great! I need to venture out from my usual Bugger, sculpin, leech patterns and start tying out other baitfish patterns for the trout out here in the SW. We have some big browns but havnt really targeted them yet this year with anything other than buggers. Your clousers are lookin good, keep up the good work