The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 PM

fly505 will become famous soon enough
Default Clouser Minnow for trout

Hi there, just wondering what is the most popular pattern/color for tying these up for browns and rainbows? What has worked best? I know people have and tremendous success with bass and other freshwater species but what about large browns or rainbows? Thanks and look forward to any replies.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:26 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clouser Minnow for trout

Color choice will depend on the food supply available to the trout.

Light olive over white with a hint of pink for a lateral line can represent a small rainbow trout.

Dark olive over light olive could represent a sculpin. Same goes for brown over tan.

I also use chartreuse over white. I'm not sure what that represents, but it works sometimes.

Dennis
wannafish likes this.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:59 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

I have great success with the Mickey Finn color.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:28 PM

Nice!! Gonna hve to tie up some that represent small browns and rainbows for sure, got a great sculpin pattern that I've had success with...Sculpzilla. Thanks for the suggestions! Would you tie with brass eyes or bead chain for small to medium sized rivers?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly505 View Post
Nice!! Gonna hve to tie up some that represent small browns and rainbows for sure, got a great sculpin pattern that I've had success with...Sculpzilla. Thanks for the suggestions! Would you tie with brass eyes or bead chain for small to medium sized rivers?
Sculpzilla is one of my regulars in the fly box.

As for brass or bead chain? Both. Actually I use a lot of lead. If you want the fly bumpin' bottom like a sculpin, you need to put some serious weight on the fly. If you want the fly to fluctuate a lot like a dace or a baby trout in the current, the lighter bead chain fly along with a slightly longer streamer leader (no more than 7 or 8 feet - normal streamer leaders for me are no longer than 5 feet) and sink tip line are recommended.

Dennis
Old 04-07-2013, 10:57 PM

Great! Thanks Dennis for the recommendations. I use furled leaders and one of the ones I use for streamer fishing is one made from very soft Fluorocarbon. Sinks well, not long and turns over decent sized streamers. I'll try to tie some up with lighter bead chains and brass dumbbell eyes...lead maybe more than what I wanna throw with my 5 weight. Thanks for all the replies
Old 04-08-2013, 02:05 AM

Have you ever tried dead drifting a Clouser Minnow or a Sculpzilla? It is not a technique that gets mentioned a lot since both flies are considered streamers. You may be surprised with the results.

Dennis
noreaster likes this.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My trout Clousers include Micky Finns, black ghosts, black nose dace, and grey ghosts, (orange, silver, grey)
Old 04-08-2013, 10:09 AM

You know what I don't think I've tried dead drifting the Sculpzilla. I bet it would be deadly through some rifles and into the head of a pool, like an injured baitfish. Been really wanting to tie up clousers but thought they were primarily for warm water species. Some streamers for trout that I want to tie and try are McKnights Home Invader and Hawkins Triple Double....anyone have experiences with these?
Old 04-08-2013, 12:13 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hook size 10-4 and about the size you see in the picture as an overall fly. Sparse seems to work best:

Click the image to open in full size.\
Click the image to open in full size.

And, here's another one, although a bit tough to see the Clouser:
Click the image to open in full size.

Kelly.
von behr and sumojo like this.