The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 PM

garookie is on a distinguished road
Default rigging

High guys. im new to flyfishing. Im a bait cast and spinning guy. I was wondering if I could use a clasp in the end of the tippit instead of tieing and untie flies if I need to change flies out. thanks for the info.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:21 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: rigging

It depends on the pattern of the fly. If you're fishing streamers/buggers/zonkers etc., then go right ahead. However, I don't think it will work with small dries.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 04-22-2013, 09:23 PM

thank you. what is a zonker. ive never heard of that type of fly.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Zonker may not be exactly the right name. It's a minnow pattern, using a length of bunny strip, commonly called a zonker strip. fished similar to a deceiver minnow, but has more 'action.'
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Do you really use a clasp/swivel that often when you spin fish?

Are you looking at doing this for ease of changing flies or to save tippet?

Aside from inline spinners, I almost never used one when using my bait casting and spinning gear. It was almost just as fast to tie a knot as it was to clip and unclip one of the clasps. If it was cold out, new knot always won.

The other caveat that I think is worth mentioning is durability of your tippet. When you are using smaller tippets, they tend to get nicked and frayed quite often so you may end up tying more knots than you originally thought about.

I guess my point is that I'd just stick to knots
Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I know that some people do this because of poor eyesight or arthritic fingers or something similar, but for the rest of us clipping a fly onto a snap is nothing more than a crutch.
The ability to tie good knots is an important skill needed in fly fishing and one of the easiest to master.
When you have free time like when you're watching TV, have a spool of mono there and practice. It doesn't take much to get a good grasp on the essentials.
It will be worth it.
Guest1 and random user like this.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:53 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

my dad busted his finger a few summers ago and he was using these
Cabela's: No-Knot Fast Snaps
he had the small size.
hope this helps

casey

ARFE

Last edited by caseywise; 04-23-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:13 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

When I first started fishing at.... I guess 14 (later starter!) I remember doing the same thing because knot tying took me so long.

Don't use those swivels unless you have an obvious medical need for it. Just get a spool of $2 monofilament and sit on the couch and practice knots while watching youtube . It works wonders. I (and most other regular fishermen) can tie probably at least 3-4 knots in literally seconds and you won't have to rely on a crutch.

Go for it! I remember when I learned how to tie the uniknot consistently and quickly I was SO much happier with my fishing. I still use the uniknot for fly fishing about 90% of the time. The only time I've broken it is when I'm trying to break it....usually from snagging rocks on the river bottom. Tying strong knots quickly adds a tremendous amount of pleasure and self-sufficiency to the hobby.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:38 PM

spiderninja will become famous soon enough

To add on to the other comments, the main reason you wouldn't use a swivel is because it will take away from your presentation. As mentioned earlier, a dry fly is meant to float on top of the water. A swivel would probably drag it under right away and hose your presentation.

Many flies (both dry and nymphs) are as small or smaller than the swivel. So, the fish sees your swivel and not the fly. Bigger bugs you can probably get away with it, but the best bet is to learn how to tie a good clinch knot or hemostat knot.

One of the things that took a while to understand is that presentation is the difference between catching fish and not catching fish.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 PM

thanks for all the info guys. I didn't understand the effect of a clasp on a fly. like I posted earlier. Im new to this and I totally appricate the information. I have been practicing a lot with the uniknot and I really comfortable with that knot. Im know trying to figure out the different types of flies and there uses. the biggest thing I will be fish for is bream crappie and small bass. Ive picked a 5/6 weight package. so I will be back on here for more info and thanks again guys.