The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By flyguy97
  • 2 Post By bigjim5589
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 11:40 AM

flyguy97 is on a distinguished road
Default Wool Heads

I recently bought some wool for the first time. Just cream colored so I could marker it. I tied my first wool fly and tied the wool in like i was spinning deer hair. Are there better techniques or is this the usual way to do it. Any tips would be much appreciated, thanks!
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:51 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wool Heads

What you did works, but there are two other methods that will provide heads that are more dense. First is simply cutting the wool into lengths about 1-2 inches long & placing them in a dubbing loop. A dubbing loop is nothing more than a doubled length of tying thread, and the wool, or any other such material is sandwiched between the two sides of the thread. Then it's spun, usually with a weighted tool, so that a chenille or brush is formed. This is then wrapped & combed or trimmed to get the desired shape.

The other method is the same, but is usually done with wire, forming what is now commonly called a "brush". Enrico Puglisi made these very popular, and they can be made up in advance. Then it's tied onto the hook & wrapped, then trimmed or combed as with the dubbing loop.

It takes a little practice, but either method can produce some very desirable results. By alternating colors within either a thread loop or a wire loop, you can get some nice banded affects.

Hope this helps!
Hardyreels and bigfishcatcher like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if there are other techniques...but your little"beast" looks greatCongrats!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:01 PM

flyguy97 is on a distinguished road

I dub quite often so next time I will have to try using the wool. It will be a wrap, pull back, wrap process correct?
Old 05-05-2013, 12:06 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Not sure what you mean, but here's a link to basic dubbing loops.

Hardyreels likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-05-2013, 09:28 PM

bigfishcatcher is on a distinguished road

The way I do it is to get a big 1/2" piece of wool and stick it straight over the hook eye and clamp it down. This is a lot easier if there is anything to keep it from spinning right like leftover wing material or thread. Also works great for deer hair.

Last edited by bigfishcatcher; 05-05-2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 05-08-2013, 07:22 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Royce Dam,The Buz Buszek Award is the highest fly tying award the FFF gives out. Royce Dam won it in 1994 and he is the foremost fly tier that uses wool for flies.

Get his book, The Practical Fly Tier.

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Portals...4_RoyceDam.pdf

wool bodied flies

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy