Just how in the H@@@)(%&) do you make them work ?

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
How do you take a biot and pull it around the hook and make a spine stand up..I've tried till I'm in tears and cant seem to wrap them any way except they lay flat down.

HELP !

Michael

williamhj

Reaction score
Yeah it takes a bit to figure out how to tie it in to get it to wrap how you want. Once you get it you're good to go. Tie the biot in so the flat part lays against the hook and the biot is in line with the hook shank. If I want the ridge to stand up I tie the ridged part on the top side of the biot when I tie it in. When I go to wrap the ridge is in the rear so doesn't get covered by the next turn. If I want it smooth then the ridge is on the bottom. If no one give a clearer answer I'll try to take some pictures once the kids are in bed :)

ted4887

Reaction score
[ame=http://youtu.be/muj2ccZ3pI8?t=2m50s]Tying the Mahogany MayFly Nymph by Davie McPhail. - YouTube[/ame]

Check this video out. He starts tying the biot in at about 2:50.

Whenever I have a problem with a fly, I turn to Davie McPhail. The guy is amazing at demonstrating different techniques.

Last edited:

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Simple solution really. Make sure you soak your biots first so they are not brittle. Then, attach the biot by the tip with the small notch that appears on the wide end either facing the hook eye or the rear of the hook - here is where you achieve a smooth or rough biot body. If you attach the biot with the notch facing the hook eye (to the right for right-handed tiers) you will achieve the rough look with the 'spine' as you call it standing up. If you tie the biot in with the notch facing the rear of the fly (left for right-handed tiers) then you will achieve a smooth body. Also, make sure to apply a very thin coat of cement to the hook shank prior to wrapping the biot.

Here is a pic of what I mean by the 'notch' facing to the right for an end result of a rough body:

Here is an example of what results by tying the biot in with the notch to the left:

Best of luck. The key to success is assuring your biots are pliable by soaking them first. A small sponge similar to what they make for wetting postage stamps works quite well. Have several biots soaking prior to your tying session.

Best Fishes,

Kelly.