The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 01:20 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of
Default Re: green drake emerger pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post

And also some of us fishing the drunella, apparently. Drastically different to entomologists but maybe similar to fisherman? :-) a very big and greenish mayfly to the layman, and hard to match?
The main reason I prefer the scientific names (versus the common names) other than the point illustrated above, is that it narrows down the subtleties of the specific insect.

Case in point - Drunella species; All Drunella's (D. lata, D. cornuta, D. flavilinea, D. doddsi, etc) change colors dramatically when they hatch. They tend to hatch in the surface film and then pop through the meniscus (like most Ephemerella species). A freshly-hatched Drunella actually has a bright green (chartreuse) body, but within moments of riding on top of the water and being exposed to air their body dries to a medium/dull olive.

So depending on how much emphasis is placed on body color, an emerger pattern for Drunella hatches (aka Western Green Drakes, Eastern Blue-winged Olives, Flav's in the west) should be dressed in bright green.

For example, when the D. cornuta's were hatching on the Brodhead River back in PA, this was a killer flymph pattern. I tie them on yellow thread to bring out the green even more than shown here.
Click the image to open in full size.
silvertip8k likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-21-2013, 09:52 AM

powderfinger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
Interesting "east meets west" theme going on here... I'm pretty sure (given his location) that powderfinger is referring to the Green Drake as in Ephemera guttulata, and the (western) Green Drake - Drunella grandis/doddsi is a very different species of mayfly. Even the nymphs... as Ard pointed out, (eastern) Green Drakes are burrowers, while (western) Green Drakes are crawlers.

Ephemera guttulata

Drunella doddsi

Same nickname... drastically different species of mayflies.

The eastern Green Drake seems to be one of these flies that is so big and clumsy that the matching dun/emerger patterns tend to look lifeless by comparison. I know many who have been driven to the edge of fly-fishing madness by lack of success during hatches of guttulata.
ur right dean. this is the bug we see here in the appalachins. any help on a klinkhammer and a nymph pattern now that we have narrowed it down? thanks for ur imput so far....
silvertip8k likes this.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:49 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The Western Green Drake, Drunella grandis, formerly classified as an Ephemerella (cousin to the Eastern Hendrickson, E. subvaria) is a VERY different insect from the famous Green Drake, Ephemera guttulata. The Drake, a cousin to the European E. danica, a slightly smaller though still fare larger insect than the Western Green Drake, a size 10 imitation about the size of an Eastern March Brown, is all but identical to the North American Eastern Green Drake. A large, burrowing Ephemeroptera, the emergent nymph swims with the vigor of a minnow and is largely ignored during its daytime sporadic emergence, it is voraciously targeted by trout during its dusk time spinner fall, however. Its imago's white abdomen was the inspiration for Walt Dette's "Coffin Fly" pattern and is all but identical to the E. danica of the British chalk streams and the rest of Europe. The European version is significant to American anglers as it is the insect referred to as "The Mayfly" that gives its popular name to all of our Ephemeroptera insects.

Along with the Brown Drake, Ephemera simulans, same insect both East and West and the giant Midwestern Mayfly, Hexagenia limbata, trout and anglers alike experience Drake Fever during the near dark spinner falls. Trout of a size that rarely rise to the surface set up shallow water feeding lies and glump on Drake spinners until their bellies feel crunchy in your hand as they are so stuffed. For Gutulata, I find an extended body, semi-spent, wound hackle wing spinner fly knotted to 3X tippet to be effective while for Grandis, merely a third the size of its Eastern namesake, I find a thorax style dun and a Comparadun to be effective, but many insist an emerger is better. A floating nymph, Quigly cripple and Mike Lawson's dual soft hackle fly are all probably equally good. Detail is important in all Drake patterns as the trouts' magnifying eye gets a real good look at them particularly on slicker currents.

In the East, on great Green Drake habitats like the upper Delaware watershed, patience is paramount as it takes some maturity and fortitude not to wade in prematurely as "regular" trout rise to early falling spinners or concurrent Sulphurs which likely spokes the big boys off their bank side, shallow lies and wait till the mass of spent, mating Mayflies fall to the water. Sit there, check and recheck every knot in your leader and preen your 2 1/2" (+ tail) offering with floatant until the frenzy breaks loose. On a famous Western Green Drake river like the Henry's Fork, mid morning on a late June day may have you dead drifting your #10 robust bodied dun as the trout are forced to compete with flocks of screaming, wheeling and diving Terns as all want a part in the Grandis feast.

You will see me, I am the guy with the grey beard and long billed hat on the Railroad Ranch in late June but it will be harder to see me a month earlier in the tail out of a big Delaware eddy because it will be nearly darkness.
silvertip8k likes this.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
You will see me, I am the guy with the grey beard and long billed hat on the Railroad Ranch in late June but it will be harder to see me a month earlier in the tail out of a big Delaware eddy because it will be nearly darkness.
I've wondered for a long time now if I have seen you walking the banks before, now I can say, yes, I have.

Perhaps I'll surprise you with a cold beer one of these days.
silvertip8k likes this.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
I've wondered for a long time now if I have seen you walking the banks before, now I can say, yes, I have.

Perhaps I'll surprise you with a cold beer one of these days.
Is there really only one grey-bearded guy with a hat on all of the Ranch?
silvertip8k likes this.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!

No there's plenty, but ones with the long billed hat are rare.

I used to spend ALL my spare time fishing the Last Chance area, I recall a fella from the upper east coast that used to spend a couple months fishing The Ranch waters every season. I really think it was sweetandsalt.

I'm certain we know many of the same people, won't mention names but there was another fella with the initials BJ from Idaho Falls that parked his trailer very close by and had a funny little Dachsund....or perhaps he knew Don Laughlin?(he's passed on, so I feel safe mentioning his name).

Now, if he tells me that he camps on the river side of the road at the top of The Ranch parking area....I'll know it's him.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 05-21-2013, 11:30 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I really need to go fish that some time. I've gone down through the box canyon a couple times but it was a fiasco.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:29 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Fysh, Out Mesa Falls Rd. or down Wood Rd., tent camp. I move around among various rivers in Idaho and Montana during late June and July so I rarely have spent more than a week on the Fork. You have seen me though as I have not missed but two seasons there since the early 70's. I used to hang with Bobby, Roger and Lisa back then and I know a man that lives in a tippi. My camp mates and even my wife ALL wear long billed hats. Dean, it is not a far drive for you and, though not the insect factory and fishery it once was, it is still among an elite handful of the World's greatest dry fly trout rivers.

Evening on the Fork durring Brown Drake Spinners. It takes nerves of steel to present to a rise like this one.
fysh, dean_mt and stenacron like this.

Last edited by sweetandsalt; 05-22-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:45 PM

silvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the roughsilvertip8k is a jewel in the rough

if you ever need a rod carrier / camp fire starter/ fish netter let me know...t
dean_mt likes this.

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
public water 20"er
public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
http://wmflyrodco.com/
Old 05-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Fysh, Out Mesa Falls Rd. or down Wood Rd., tent camp. I move around among various rivers in Idaho and Montana during late June and July so I rarely have spent more than a week on the Fork. You have seen me though as I have not missed but two seasons there since the early 70's. I used to hang with Bobby, Roger and Lisa back then and I know a man that lives in a tippi. My camp mates and even my wife ALL wear long billed hats. Dean, it is not a far drive for you and, though not the insect factory and fishery it once was, it is still among an elite handful of the World's greatest dry fly trout rivers.

Evening on the Fork durring Brown Drake Spinners. It takes nerves of steel to present to a rise like this one.

Now that's the most fun you can have standing up with your clothes on, gives me the shivers!!
dean_mt likes this.