The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 04:57 PM

95chevy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Blue Gill fly

Here's my attempt. I'm going out fishing tonight so I'll give it a try.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by 95chevy; 05-30-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:33 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There's classic brook trout fly very similar to this only all red with a slightly larger head
Wish I could remember it's name.
The look may be very rough but this ancient fly is still around and has stood the test of time

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:40 PM

hmm. Maybe I'll make another one with red fur this time. I honestly just cut some off of one of my saltwater jigs and used sewing thread to tie it one there. I'm not sure how consistent I can set the hook because the foam is close to the hook. But we'll see. I didn't get to go out tonight. I may have to wait until the weekend. Unless I find time tomorrow.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:53 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95chevy View Post
Here's my attempt. I'm going out fishing tonight so I'll give it a try.
Click the image to open in full size.
Only question about this is how many gills it will take to tear it apart. Color combination is good. Proportions are good. With a blunt head like that it will wiggle/wobble a bit and make some good noise during the retrieve. Like Rip said you hit something from way back in flyfishing. The very first bucktails were not all that much different from what you tied. It's also close to how some inchworm patterns are tied and not so far off from how clousers are tied.

It's a definite win. You tied it with found materials on hand which is a big win, and if you tied that without a vice and bobbin, sewing thread and no previous training, it is an expletive-ing victory.

If you want to beef it up a little bit, hit the thread warp and the butts of the bucktail with a little clear water proof epoxy, or even several coats of crazy glue.

I've got the day off tomorrow, so I'll be tying tonight until it is time to head out in the morning. Will be tying a couple of them
Old 05-31-2013, 05:43 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
Only question about this is how many gills it will take to tear it apart. Color combination is good. Proportions are good. With a blunt head like that it will wiggle/wobble a bit and make some good noise during the retrieve. Like Rip said you hit something from way back in flyfishing. The very first bucktails were not all that much different from what you tied. It's also close to how some inchworm patterns are tied and not so far off from how clousers are tied.

It's a definite win. You tied it with found materials on hand which is a big win, and if you tied that without a vice and bobbin, sewing thread and no previous training, it is an expletive-ing victory.

If you want to beef it up a little bit, hit the thread warp and the butts of the bucktail with a little clear water proof epoxy, or even several coats of crazy glue.

I've got the day off tomorrow, so I'll be tying tonight until it is time to head out in the morning. Will be tying a couple of them

I'm pretty sure that the red/yellow picture is a fly in progress. It shows a partially completed popper with just the tail attached. The final fly is the second picture in which the foam body was applied. So as you suggest, the wraps are indeed covered and protected.

Chevy,

Good job on that first fly, the fish will definitely be attracted to it. Only thing you have to worry about is what to tell your wife when she asks what happened to her flip flops.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-31-2013, 05:54 AM

I actually used a vise (an actual bench vise) I also could a broken flip flop. I figured it may end up bad if I took a good one. Then only thing I found difficult in this one was getting the foam to stay on the toothpick. I ended up using a screw so it wouldn't spin. I put a few drops of superglue on the threads and on the top and bottom of the foam so it won't come off easily. Thanks for the help guys. It's definitely fun making things yourself.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:10 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I just tied up some Frank Sawyer Killer Bugs, size:12. Man do those catch fish. I tried them out Monday on a local lake and smashed the 'gills with it and a few crappie.

Craig
Old 06-01-2013, 09:50 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

Last time I went fishing for bluegill I learned that they will go after anything flashy or life like. I had used a dry fly with an emergent dropper and throughout the day both caught a large number of gills. I was also fish a small creek. The dry is what I refer to as a griffins gnat, not 100%, it's body is olive dubbing with a white hackle. The dropper was a caddis emerger I memicked from www.perfectflyshop.com I'll save the headache of trying to describe it, just check out the site. Both are very simple to tie, if that's what you do.