The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 03:39 PM

95chevy will become famous soon enough
Default Blue Gill fly

This past weekend end I went out with my fly rod for the first time. I was at a pond that has a little bit of everything. But I found bluegills to be most abundant and fun to catch. I was just using a fly that I had (I have no idea what it's called) I assume that there is a fly that's used for bluegills. I've seen during my research that a "foam popper" came up a lot. I'm not sure what this is. Is it something I can buy or is it a fly that I make? Thanks for any help.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:49 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Blue Gill fly

Bluegills, and most of the other species of freshwater "Sunfishes" will eat just about anything they can get in their mouths, and even some things they can't.

I've caught them on big bass flies & lures, usually foul hooked, as they swipe at such a fly or lure.

There are 2 basic types of foam poppers, one is a hard foam, the other a soft foam. There are places that sell both types of finished flies & the bodies to make your own.

I'm guessing from your question, that you have not as yet started tying your own flies? If not & desire to do it, there are some very easy patterns that are great for Bluegills & materials can be obtained in craft shops at very small cost. You'll need some basic tools, a vise (or something similar to hold the hook), a thread bobbin, scissors or other cutting tool, tying thread & hooks. The other materials will depend on the fly patterns.

There are several posts about getting started with tying, so a search should provide some additional information.

However, if you wish to buy flies there are also inexpensive flies that can be purchased.

I tie most of my own flies, but do purchase some occasionally. Check out Millers Fly Shop (Miller's Fly Shop Home Page) Their flies are decent quality & inexpensive. They also ship at a very fair cost of $2.50 flat rate no matter how many flies you purchase.

There are other such fly suppliers & I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.

Hope this helps.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:04 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Foam spiders like this are SO easy to make.
Basically they're craft sheet foam from the dollar store, elastic legs that you can cut from an old bungee cord and some adhesive.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:33 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

These are good too and not too hard to tie if you have a basic kit. (no expensive / hard to find materials.)

Wiggle Bug "Fly of the Week #66 - FAOL
Old 05-28-2013, 05:48 PM

I don't tie my own flies yet. But those don't look too hard at all. I may have to try that this weekend. So it's just foam, little rubber string, and tying thread? Of course the hook but that's a given. What's a good size. I think the hooks I were using were a size 20 (not positive but they were small)
Old 05-28-2013, 06:35 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Rip's fly is something like I had in mind!

I generally use larger hooks than most folks, size 8 to 4. I feel I get less swallowed flies & gut hooked fish. But, I think many would use 12 to 8 for Bluegill's unless they're exceptionally large.

I caught some in Florida once that were 12 to 13 inches long, and they took a marabou streamer tied on a size 4 hook. I was looking for bass, but Bluegills that large were fine with me!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:42 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

These are super cheap, fast and fun to tie. They last forever and they are great when the fish are hitting on the surface.

Go to the local dollar store, buy a dollar pair of flip flops, and you are all set to catch fish.

For the round ones, just stick a piece of foam on a toothpick, chuck it up in a drill or dremel, take an emery board, and you can crank them out

have fun,

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

Last edited by pszy22; 05-29-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:56 PM

Those look just like the ones I was going to buy. What did you use to tie them on there? I was looking at three flies on orvis one looks like those, the other is called a floating ant and the last is called a shore beetle. But since those look so easy I may just have to make a pair of those flip flops "disappear" in my house. Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-29-2013, 06:39 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Don't blame me when your wife starts asking what happened to her new flip flops.

Once you form your body, you'll have a hole thru the center from the toothpick.
Tie onto the hook whatever you want to use for a tail, the nice thing about that, it doesn't need to be neat or exact. If your tail material tie in doesn't cover the entire shank, cover what's left with thread. You are going to slip your popper body onto the hook from the eye, covering everything that's on the hook shank. You can use some adhesive, or not. You'll be an expert after doing a couple.

One last thing to add, there are a couple of different types of foam used to make the flip flops. There is a soft spongy material, and a firmer foam. I like the firmer foam, but the softer stuff may work depending on the types of flies you are tying.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-29-2013, 06:45 PM

That's simply. Thanks for saving me the money. I'll try some either later or tomorrow and post some pics.