The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 05:53 PM

oldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura aboutoldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura about
Default Cicada Fly

I was going to start fly tying but still haven't. I was looking around for somewhere to buy cicada flies but can't find anywhere. Could you guys give me some suggestions on where to buy them.
Thanks
Old 06-10-2013, 07:35 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cicada Fly

I think the Orvis website has a hair version and Casters online fly shop has a foam. I'm sure there are others as well.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:51 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I ended up getting a few from a local guide here in VA. He's not selling these on his web site but I can inquire if he'd be willing to tie some up. I think they were $4 a piece.

http://50.116.84.83/~wwwmattm/wp-con...4/photo-54.jpg

His name is Matt Miles.

Let me know if you're interested. I had to send him a check, which these days is pretty trusting...he only knows me from my facebook activity...

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 06-10-2013, 09:01 PM

oldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura aboutoldtownpaddler has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the replies. Thanks "shotgunfly" for the option but I think I am going to order online from casters online fly shop. Found them for $2.50 and a bit less work. Thanks though.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:39 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough

I saw these on facebook. from the new angle fishing company

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:35 PM

freak is on a distinguished road

Picked these up @ a local Orvis

Old 06-12-2013, 12:45 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Fly Fish food ties a cool pattern, called the sickadia

Fly Fish Food: The Sickada: A Foam Cicada Fly Pattern
mcnerney and rubberguy like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-13-2013, 02:00 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a cool looking fly! Now all i need is some Cicadas ! I think they forgot that their 17 years is up by me!
mcnerney likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-14-2013, 11:19 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Just wait til they come out man. Its NUTS!! They were out 2 years ago here and another brood will be coming out next year AND the year after that again here. its deafening loud when they are all calling. I should upload the videos of them I took from my yard. They were so loud the dog couldnt here me over them so I had to yell to get her attention.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

This guy landed on my sleeve today while I was fishing on the Green River below Fontenelle Reservoir. I have seen Cicadas below Flaming Gorge but never below Fontenelle, pretty interesting experience.
williamhj likes this.