The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you keep dry flies, well, dry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
Tonight I used that little M Fly for the first time and also the little foam fly. I caught about 8 or 9 nice bluegill (I never knew they were as pretty as they are). I had I can't tell you how many little nibbles and I hooked and lost so many fish it was driving me nuts. I need to learn how to set a hook right using a fly line and those teeny, tiny hooks.
Ray

The others have offered great advice on conditioning dry flies so I won't add anything.
No one offered any advice on setting the hook. Here are a couple thoughts: The further you cast out the harder it is to set the hook. You want slack in the line so there isn't any drag, but this usually isn't an issue on stillwater, so be sure you don't have too much slack between you and the fly, so as soon as the line hits the water get control of any slack. Keep your rod tip low, this will help you minimize the amount of slack line. Usually with dries, the advice is to wait a second before setting the hook, some advice I have heard is to say "God save the queen", before setting. However, I have found that on small fish they can be extremely fast at sampling something on top of the water, so you reaction has to be fast. Last summer I found a big pool on the Green River just outside town, it was loaded with 8-14" rainbows and it was a blast to go out for a couple hours and toss dries, but those little guys are FAST so you have to react quickly.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:37 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Thanks a lot for all the answers. I did use the Loon gel stuff on the foam fly before I tossed it out there. I thought it was overkill but maybe not. Somebody on this thread confirmed that even foam sucks up water and sinks some.

I was afraid to put it on the CDC and I guess I was right, there, too, but the CDC flies sunk quickly, especially after a fish hit it or I caught one. I found that I could only do so much with it once it got wet. I didn't know if I needed to tie new ones on as much as I did. But is there any way to help CDC flies float longer???

As far as slack in the line goes, I know I have too much slack--almost all the time. I am using these gills to help me with everything: plain old casting, roll casting, and getting used to how to fish with flies in general. I know still water is nothing like fishing in moving water but it is practice.

Yesterday was the first time I had the guts to even try false casting and it was neat to see that it actually worked: I was able to get 2-3 more casts out of a fly before it was totally sinking.

It is amazing what one learns but I hope I am not creating some bad habits at the same time. I found myself "reaching" a lot last night. What I mean by that is that, during the forward cast, I reach my arm out and then tilt my wrist. I know that is wrong, so it is the next thing I will have to work on. It is easier to work on casting in the water than it is in the yard, so around water it will be.

Thanks again for all the advice. Some people are saying that women's make-up remover works great, is really cheap, and you can get a ton of it. I may try it. Some other people were saying Scotch Guard but there is something, I don't know, wrong about that.

ray
Old 06-15-2013, 12:48 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

This is some stuff I have come to appreciate, over the years, to keep my dries, emergers and cripples in or above the surface film:

For CDC patterns...

Click the image to open in full size.

Amadou Dryer...

CDC Flotant

Primer first...

...then this

From Tiemco

This is the best gel flotant I have ever found - it is no longer available...

this is now offered by the same company - Ragot, in France...as a spray...

...and this little brush, which your wife or GF probably has, allows one to put Gels exactly where it is needed... on smaller flies...

I have probably used them all and keep a large stash of Frog's Fanny on hand...

PT/TB
mcnerney, williamhj and busbus like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 06-15-2013, 01:04 PM

enolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really niceenolaeagle is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
This is some stuff I have come to appreciate, over the years, to keep my dries, emergers and cripples in or above the surface film:

For CDC patterns...

Amadou Dryer...

CDC Flotant

Primer first...

...then this

From Tiemco

This is the best gel flotant I have ever found - it is no longer available...

this is now offered by the same company - Ragot, in France...as a spray...

...and this little brush, which your wife or GF probably has, allows one to put Gels exactly where it is needed... on smaller flies...

I have probably used them all and keep a large stash of Frog's Fanny on hand...

PT/TB
I saw that you posted a "spray" and I was actually going to ask about that... I have not seen that anywhere lately but used to use it a few years back and liked it the most.

The Gink is everywhere and the other solution, I ordered from Big Y Fly co.

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-15-2013, 01:25 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I usually do a couple false casts when fishing dries. Don't false cast more than needed, it will catch up to you by the end of a long day. I did when I was new but have learned it's overkill sometimes.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:27 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Here is my routine:
When I first tie on the fly I apply gel floatant and do a few false cast, usually keeps it floating until I catch something
after catching a fish swirl the fly in the water to wash off the slime, dry with an amadou patch or a little piece of shamwow then apply frogs fanny

I think rinsing the slime off and drying it before applying the frogs fanny is the key, but even then, after a dozen or so fish that fly is going to sink or need to be recoated with frogs fanny every couple drifts, at that point I tie on another.

also, I never put gel on a fly after it has been wet, seems to lock in the moisture

YMMV
Rich
busbus likes this.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:28 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
I think rinsing the slime off and drying it before applying the frogs fanny is the key, but even then, after a dozen or so fish that fly is going to sink or need to be recoated with frogs fanny every couple drifts, at that point I tie on another.

Thanks, this is exactly what was happening to me. Now it is verified. I need to tie one on after a while...er, I mean tie another dry fly on after a while.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by busbus View Post
Thanks, this is exactly what was happening to me. Now it is verified. I need to tie one on after a while...er, I mean tie another dry fly on after a while.
Before you cut off the old fly and tie on a new one, try a rubber band. It's easier to show you than try to explain, take a look here -

Tenkara Fly Fishing: Rubber Band Fly Restore

I do treat my dries before fishing them as suggested above, but this dries the fly off better than anything I've tried in the past (and it's free).

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo