The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 05:09 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Gartside Gurgle where to buy online

I did try Orvis Online, but they only have size 3/0 which is too big for me.
So, I ordered me self some fly tying tools and materials from BPS to tie them myself. Thank you Nick.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

A few years back it was introduced as a Tad Pole. Then the Pyramid Lake Tadpole
Pyramid Tadpole Trout Fly for Fly Fishing

Fly Tying: Pyramid Lake Tadpole - Arizona WanderingsArizona Wanderings
runningfish likes this.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:31 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
Thank you for the link I didn't know about this store but it looks legit. I found some on Ebay as well.

In my search looking for them I encountered countless sites and videos showing the recipe and the way to tie them. They look very easy to tie but I am not a fly tier nor want to be one since I heard it was very addicting.

Thanks again.
They're most certainly legit and a good shop to deal with. I've ordered materials from them and received them very fast. I'm not gonna sugar coat it, tying can most certainly become an addiction. It is however, incredibly fun when the weather or time aren't on your side and you would rather be on the water. Then again, it's fun just about any time I do it.

The advantages far outweigh the cons from my perspective. I tie flies for the localized areas I fish that can't be bought online, I can have some done for a trip tomorrow, I can give them away and watch people land fish, land them on my own flies, make them more durable, etc.

Some people don't like it though and that's OK too. Whatever works for ya.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:58 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Tying single-handedly got me through this past winter, which was a LONG one.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:01 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
They're most certainly legit and a good shop to deal with. I've ordered materials from them and received them very fast. I'm not gonna sugar coat it, tying can most certainly become an addiction. It is however, incredibly fun when the weather or time aren't on your side and you would rather be on the water. Then again, it's fun just about any time I do it.

The advantages far outweigh the cons from my perspective. I tie flies for the localized areas I fish that can't be bought online, I can have some done for a trip tomorrow, I can give them away and watch people land fish, land them on my own flies, make them more durable, etc.

Some people don't like it though and that's OK too. Whatever works for ya.
I agree with you about the pro and cons in fly tying. My goals are the Gurglers and some simple Tenkara flies. I ended up using my BPS points and credit for tying materials and tools. They should be in sometimes this weekend. I hope they are presentable so I can post them here.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Tying single-handedly got me through this past winter, which was a LONG one.
Well, we can't even call it winter here in So Cal this year, but for sure we can call it a longer summer.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:01 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Quote:
I agree with you about the pro and cons in fly tying. My goals are the Gurglers and some simple Tenkara flies. I ended up using my BPS points and credit for tying materials and tools. They should be in sometimes this weekend. I hope they are presentable so I can post them here.
BPS is where I got my first tying stuff. Bought the bass fly tying kit and haven't bought a single fly since.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:11 PM

yeah, BPS is where I am getting almost all of my fishing supply and only about 10 minutes away from work too. A dangerous place to be though.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
yeah, BPS is where I am getting almost all of my fishing supply and only about 10 minutes away from work too. A dangerous place to be though.
It's like Costco for fishermen. You may just go in for a few flies, but you're coming out with a full shopping basket and a new mortgage.
runningfish likes this.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:28 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Joni, that Tadpole's a cute little fly!

I tie Gurglers a couple of ways. Here's a few with hackle tails that I like for bass & Striped bass. I tie saltwater versions with bucktail also & prefer the estaz/cactus chenille for the bodies. On smaller sizes I'll use other types of hair too, like fox tail or opossum body fur. Really no wrong way to tie them I don't think.

Click the image to open in full size.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!