The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tsubeta04
  • 1 Post By tsubeta04
  • 1 Post By tsubeta04

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 04:50 PM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice
Default Carp!!!!!! New flies

So ive made it my summer goal to catch a carp. its so frustrating to have these guys be all around and not be able to hook one.

Gotta admit i was one of those people who talked about catp being dumb trash fish.

With this new fly fishing obsession of mine though ive learned that carp are quite smart. Ive read theyre smarter than bass. Ive read more about carp in the last few days than ill admit to anyone but yall.

I took the idea for these flies from other users and made it my own. I payed attention to the aquatic vegetation around the creek for the idea.

What do yall think?

Please give feedback and know its literally the second fly i ever tie.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Click the image to open in full size.

williamhj likes this.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:43 PM

enolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Carp!!!!!! New flies

Looks cool! What size hook and what did you use for the leafy stuff?

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-05-2013, 10:40 PM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice

Thanks!

The pics above are from the one i did on a size 1. Pretty large hook.

The pic attached in this post is on a size 08.

The leafy stuff i found at hobby lobby. The oval shaped one was in the floral dept. And i used green feathers also purchased there.

Hope this helps.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Oh.....also....i read that its best if you roll the fly around in mud and or grass prior to casting it to the carps. It gives it a more real scent.

Joni likes this.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:57 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Nice! Definitely points for creativity, that is a cool looking fly. I've never targeted carp and I look forward to hearing how it the fly works.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:15 AM

enolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the roughenolaeagle is a jewel in the rough

Thanks! Now all the women at the floral shop are going to wonder why old guys in orvis hats are flooding the store

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 07-06-2013, 10:48 AM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold

I love carp. So do my rose bushes.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:12 PM

kicker19 will become famous soon enoughkicker19 will become famous soon enough

interesting "fly". ive just recently got into this carp thing and have been informed that anything looking and acting like a bug works. this looks totally different than what i expected. so what is it about this that makes it work ? does it actually resemble anything ?
Old 07-06-2013, 05:47 PM

Kicker....good luck with the carp. Hope it goes better for you than it has for me lately.

As for the fly...i got the idea from other members on here. I payed attention to how the carp behave here where i fish and looked closely at some of the water vegetation we have.

We will see how it goes.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:11 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Great idea! Should work well on Grass Carp! Common Carp not so much.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

There is a nun who ties similiar flys from similar materials and does well with them!

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Specifically Grassies.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 07-06-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolaeagle View Post
Thanks! Now all the women at the floral shop are going to wonder why old guys in orvis hats are flooding the store
Maybe its just me....but i do feel like i get these looks like theyre asking in their minds "whats this guy doing here?"

enolaeagle likes this.