The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 06:41 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Game Changer

No real worries there, Flymoron. I've tied a few of them and while quite sexy to me, the fish don't seem to like them any more or less than other well known and commercially available flies. There is a lot of motion to the fly but a bunny leech has a lot too.

The thing, to me, that sets it apart is the profile that you can create with a bit of trimming. However, in the end, it doesn't really seem to equal more fish. It looks great out of the water and even in the water, but a clouser minnow will get just as many reaction strikes.

Nice fly that can catch fish? Sure. Game changer? not at all
Old 10-28-2013, 10:07 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
No real worries there, Flymoron. I've tied a few of them and while quite sexy to me, the fish don't seem to like them any more or less than other well known and commercially available flies. There is a lot of motion to the fly but a bunny leech has a lot too.

The thing, to me, that sets it apart is the profile that you can create with a bit of trimming. However, in the end, it doesn't really seem to equal more fish. It looks great out of the water and even in the water, but a clouser minnow will get just as many reaction strikes.

Nice fly that can catch fish? Sure. Game changer? not at all.
I covered at the fly shop yesterday while the other guys played on the Rogue. At least three guys came in for materials for that fly. One guy said it is his go to minnow pattern for bass. Others said that that have not gained an opinion as of yet.

I would like to find out how popular the fly is in a year's time. For now, it's good to see some excitement of a product for people to come into the shop.

Dennis
Old 12-19-2013, 09:19 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I covered at the fly shop yesterday while the other guys played on the Rogue. At least three guys came in for materials for that fly. One guy said it is his go to minnow pattern for bass. Others said that that have not gained an opinion as of yet.

I would like to find out how popular the fly is in a year's time. For now, it's good to see some excitement of a product for people to come into the shop.

Dennis
The action just looks ridiculously good. It looks like a pain to tie, but I bet there are some fish here that'd have a hard-time not hitting that...
Old 12-19-2013, 10:27 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post

Nice fly that can catch fish? Sure. Game changer? not at all
It does have one advantage over many of the other standard Warm Water flies and that is it's ability to push water making it a great fly for stained water.

Now there are other flies that push water like that, the Kinky Muddler, a standard muddler, some of the woolhead flies, etc
Old 12-19-2013, 11:09 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymoron View Post
aw great, another great fly i cannot fish with, because i cannot tie
Its a gulp, the vid is just propaganda! But I'm right there with you, that thing is out of my league. But, I was thinking about the articulated action with the forward attachment. How about one hook through the eye of another and then crimped down? That would give the articulated action to a clouser or seaducer or the like and make them more lively on the retrieve? I might try it with a small clouser. I mean the darn #10s thread themselves togther anyway, maybe see if it will work for me.

Very cool fly, but at ten bucks the answer is no. I lose too many where I fish. Its why I don't use $15 yozuri crank baits on my spinning rods.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:39 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I have taken tghe pattern and modified it to fish trout.I put the hook at the back of the fly and attached it with heavy mono the made just two joints works great .