The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By runningfish
  • 1 Post By stl_geoff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 12:04 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Bend backs (Baby Bass and Fatal Attraction)

These are two flies I posted on a thread in the Warmwater section. I thought I'd post them here as well in case anyone was looking for bend back patterns.

This is the baby bass style bend back.
Tying steps (bottom to top):
Bend Hook
White buck tail
Thin line of black buck tail for the bass's lateral line
Copper flash extending past buck tail
Olive buck tail.
If you want to spice it up you can add red flash for the gills as shown in the big one.
Click the image to open in full size.

This is my version of the Fatal Attraction fly in bend back form. I use it to imitate small bluegill or pumpkinseeds that the bass feed on.
Tying steps (bottom to top):
Bend hook
Wrap hook from bend to eye in silver flash
Yellow buck tail
Green flash
Neon green/chartreuse buck tail
Small amount of olive buck tail
Peacock herl
As with the first pattern, you can add red flash for gills at the end if you want
I try to keep these in a stumpy triangular shape since sunfish are not long and slender like many fish.
Click the image to open in full size.

Some of the areas around me have a lot of vegetation and especially a lot of lily pads. With these flies, I can throw it square in the middle of a big salad pile and strip it right through. It will even skate on top of the lily pads if it has to.

The most important thing to remember when using bend backs is to go slow when stripping through vegetation (if you can). Many people assume that pulling it through fast will be better but in reality this exposes the hook more and will give you a greater chance of actually catching the weeds.

When I build my bend backs, I like the hook point to be about 1/8 of an inch below the top portion of material (excluding anything flying way up when its dry like the peacock herl in the Fatal Attraction). You want the hook point to slide through the remaining material easily during a take, but not too easily that it exposes itself constantly around vegetation.

*Special Note* - When bending the hook for these types of flies, get a nice wide, flat pair of pliers (preferably the type without grooves in the jaws). When clamping down, put the entire hook eye down to the point you want to bend within the jaws. What I mean by this is that the pliers should be on the same plane as the fly, pointing down the shank of the hook. This ensures that you wont break the eye or crack the shank while you bend.

Last edited by nick k; 07-12-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:11 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bend backs (Baby Bass and Fatal Attraction)

They are inspirational.
nick k likes this.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:05 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I think Im gonna tie up a couple of these tonight while down at the desk.
nick k likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 07-12-2013, 10:18 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

If anyone is looking for the real Fatal Attraction pattern and a walkthrough, this link will bring you there.

The website in the link is also chock full of GREAT warm water fly fishing and fly tying info. There's tons of great patterns with full picture step by step instructions for each one. I would highly recommend the site to anyone. It is by Ward Bean.