The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 PM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice
Default New to tying-bendbacks

Tied these over the last couple days

Wifey dubbed the black one "the midnight special"

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

What do yall think?
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
baseman1 likes this.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:34 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New to tying-bendbacks

Look nice to me, especially for someone new to tying them.

Something I would recommend for most types of flies in general is to do white (or light colored) bottoms. Most fish have white bottoms as a camouflage measure and flies tied in this way will look more realistic to their predators.

Another suggestion: I like to tie my bend backs fairly sparsely and use natural materials. If you use a lot of materials, it can be hard for the hook to push through it all during a take. I have found that this is especially true for more dense and tightly packed synthetic materials that tend to cling to each other.

Here are some bend backs I tie:

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:05 AM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice

Thanks for the great feeback!!!

Ill be tying some new ones

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-08-2013, 08:20 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I love tying bendbacks and the variations are almost endless. As suggested by Nick K, tying them a bit sparser will definitely make them easier to cast and even more effective.

Great start though!!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:03 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Question:

Do they make hooks specifically for this purpose, or does everyone just take something like a SW streamer hook and a pair of pliers?

I've seen this pattern and do think I might have to tie a few along with the usual bucktail patterns I throw out there. I could see them being useful in certain situations.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:08 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I just bend em. If I'm going to be tying up quite a few, I'll sit down and bend a good dozen or more up at a time. Takes me a few minutes to knock them all out.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:59 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

That black one would be killer night time Stripers! Nice job! I just bend them as well and they work fine! Like Nick . And like the other Nick white bellies is a good thing for day time flys!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-11-2013, 02:54 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Mustad made a hook years ago, which was nothing more than a bent 34007. They designated it a 34005. Frankly the bent section was bent a bit farther than I like. Only a slight bend was needed. If you find any of them, they're still a pretty OK hook for tying on.

I believe I saw some others recently too, perhaps Tiemco, but not sure about that.

Before Mustad came out with a bendback hook, I also used to do as brookfieldangler and sit & bend the hooks with pliers. The older stainless hooks, 34007 or the longer 34011 worked great, as the metal was not so hard that they broke easily. Newer, better hooks with harder tempering might be a problem. I broke enough of the older style hooks.

Now, I rarely even bother with bending hooks. I found that most any straight shank hook would work fine even without the front bend. Since I tie most with bucktail, it's buoyancy aids in keeping the fly inverted, as long as the hair is tied inside the bend of the hook.

I also tie them on another hook that Owner made. It's a hook that was intended for plastic baits & is now discontinued, but it had a very similar bend in the front section of the shank. They called it a "Longneck". This hook came with a small cone shaped piece of plastic on the shank, that was used to lock a plastic bait onto the hook, to keep it from sliding. That little cone also works well to aid in propping up materials, or is easily removed. The only draw back to this hook is it's not cheap & was only made in a black nickel finish, so is not as corrosion resistant as a stainless or tinned hook. Still it's an extremely strong & sharp hook, and well suited for freshwater fishing. Again, it's another hook that should you find them, is worth tying on!

I found a tackle shop awhile back that was closing them out for 79 cents per pack, in size 2 & 1, and purchased several packs.

Here's a fly I tied on that Owner "Longneck" hook. Not a typical bendback, but I'm sure you can see how well this hook fits the style.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-11-2013, 03:48 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I don't know who makes these hooks for Orvis, but the work great for Bendbacks.

Orvis Bass Bug Hooks

Looks like Daiichi makes a similar hook (Maybe for Orvis) Daiichi D2720

Old 08-12-2013, 12:09 PM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

You can get the same style of hook from Allen at a fraction of the price. I won't say that the Orvis hooks aren't a little better quality, but I do just fine with Allen hooks and my wallet is better for it.