The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 03:36 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: My first fly

Yes, that is an old rusty hook.
I dare not to waste a good hook for my first experimental fly.

I'll crush the hook if I ever take it fishing.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:40 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
Yes, that is an old rusty hook.
I dare not to waste a good hook for my first experimental fly.

I'll crush the hook if I ever take it fishing.
I wasnt so much worried about the barb, as i was about the hook breaking if you hook a decent fish.
runningfish likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 07-15-2013, 03:47 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

That fly probably going to be in a lot of trips but will never be in the water. Hopefully it can serve as as my good luck charm.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:35 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

First tip to using a bobbin threader: don't.

Take the thread, put about a an inch into the tube with your fingers, then use the other end of the tube like a straw an suck the line through with one quick burst. It takes all of 3 seconds and is much easier.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
First tip to using a bobbin threader: don't.

Take the thread, put about a an inch into the tube with your fingers, then use the other end of the tube like a straw an suck the line through with one quick burst. It takes all of 3 seconds and is much easier.
I actually tried and it worked!!! and I've sucking since then.
nick k likes this.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 PM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

Another tip:

Get a block of hard foam or that green foam block stuff that sometimes comes in the bottom of flower arrangements. You can use it to hold all your tools, head cement bottles, and everything else. Carve out some appropriately sized holes with a knife for the bottles, and just stick the rest of the tools in the top into the foam.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:49 AM

Good tip.

I have tons of the white foam cubes from work that I can use for that.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:59 AM

wasagawader is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
Part of being a great fly-tyer is learning how to hide material expenditures from your significant other. I'm planning on writing a book on that subject.
I majored in this with all my other hobbies. Glad to see the skills are transferable now that I am into fly fishing and tying.

On topic, I tied my first fly last night and it was no where near as polished as yours. Great job!