The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 01:34 PM

Location: Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)
pikefisher69 has a spectacular aura aboutpikefisher69 has a spectacular aura about
Default Attractor Fly Problems

I'm going to Montana in mid August to fly fish. I have a nice amount of hopper patterns tied up for hopper season. Attractor flies are also supposed to work well at that time. I tied up a few Royal Wulffs and H&L Variant's and they would stay up right. They looked proportional and I even trimmed the wings down a bit to see if that would help. They keep tilting over on their sides. Any ways to stop that from happening or does it not really matter all that much?
Old 07-18-2013, 02:16 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Attractor Fly Problems

I'M sure someone will have a better answer than me but i have had that problem.Make sure you have the right size hackle for the fly you are tying. It sounds like your hackle is a little over sized,I will trim the bottom of the hackle even with the hook and leve the sides alone this should balance your fly upright.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:26 PM

pikefisher69 has a spectacular aura aboutpikefisher69 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the answer, but I have the right hackle. I bought one of those Whiting 100 packs in size 16 and I'm tying size 16 dry flies with it.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:47 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

IMO, in a small size like that, I doubt it will matter. Even though these are attractors, they still represent some type of insect. Aquatic insects, when hatching, will be breaking through the surface film, and not all will be perfectly up right. Trout or any other fish will target crippled or struggling insects too!

Are you testing your flies with tippet attached? Or, is this fishing situation observation?

If you're simply dropping them on water, you may need to attach some tippet to get the correct read on how they will ultimately sit.

If you're actually fishing them, it's possible there is some twist in your leader & tippet that is turning them on the side.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-18-2013, 04:00 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

If it's not the wings and it's not the hackle (I think you should trim the bottom too), then it's the tail
The length of the tail should match the length of the hook shank.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:30 PM

I'll try trimming the hackle and changing tail lengths.