The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By audax
  • 2 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 12:10 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all
Default Thread coloring

Being new to fly tying and not wanting to speed too much $ on the materials.
I colored my flat waxed white thread with red permanent marker.

My questions are
1. Will the red color stay on the thread?
2. I watched some fly tying videos where the finished flies were colored heavily by permanent markers. Will the odor from the markers deter fish away?
Old 07-19-2013, 12:17 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thread coloring

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
Being new to fly tying and not wanting to speed too much $ on the materials.
I colored my flat waxed white thread with red permanent marker.

My questions are
1. Will the red color stay on the thread? My thought is 'no.'
2. I watched some fly tying videos where the finished flies were colored heavily by permanent markers. Will the odor from the markers deter fish away? My answer again is 'no'
But that aside, what is 'not good' is putting on some 'chemical' into a fly. Fish have a VERY good sense of smell. As an example, I haven't used 'after shave' for probably close to 40 years.

Even think about what you use as soap in the shower before you go fishing. Best is to just take some 'river dirt/sand' and scrub down your hands when you get there.

Just more random thoughts.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:42 PM

audax will become famous soon enoughaudax will become famous soon enough

In the absence of solvent or mechanical abrasion which will remove the pigment, the marker color should remain. That has been my experience.

The source of the odor is the solvent in the marker. As the solvent evaporates, the odor diminishes.

If your goal is to alter the head color, you only need to swipe an inch or two of thread with maker prior to completing the head. The amount of marker pigment/solvent in such a small application is trivial.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Honestly, I have not won a lottery lately and I'm guessing that you haven't either, but...................... A few spools of thread are one of life's cheap little thrills. Cut loose, get some black, gray, olive, brown and tan. You'll feel better when you look at them sitting there and know that they are all yours. I sometimes look at all the threads and tinsels I've collected over the years and consider how wealthy I really am.

Ard
von behr and jaybo41 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I do it quite often, I have a hundred or more spools of thread, but it is just quicker than changing colors. I hear what Fred is saying, maybe that is why I never catch any fish.
Hardyreels likes this.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:51 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Only thread I've colors was a white 17/0 spool. Would use it for bodies on midges and would color it with permanent marker, generally black. The color held fine.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:30 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

So obviously all those spools of colored thread I have are proof of how those dam marketer's have taken advantage of me!

Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
I hear what Fred is saying, maybe that is why I never catch any fish.
And now to address this statement, it sounds like Click the image to open in full size. I've seen too many pictures Larry