The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 06:42 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Glass and Epoxy...Killer Combo

I've been experimenting with 2-part epoxy on some fly patterns for a while now. On some of the patterns, I slide glass beads on the hook and then cover with epoxy to get a nice baitfish pattern. I add oversize 3-D eyes before applying the epoxy to really give them a small fish bug eye appearance.

These have worked extremely well in size 10 on largemouth bass and trout. I've recently tied some on stainless steel hooks and will try them in saltwater soon.

The glass beads give it the appearance of having scales and do a great job of reflecting the light.

The bulbous shape at the head is the result of the stick-on 3-D eyes.

Click the image to open in full size.Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Old 07-20-2013, 06:50 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Glass and Epoxy...Killer Combo

Great effect. Have to play around with it myself.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:14 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Those are some of the most unique flies I've ever seen. Seen beads, seen epoxy, never seen the two done together. Out standing work!

Fred
Old 07-20-2013, 09:47 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Glass and Epoxy...Killer Combo

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I know they're not exactly "traditional flies" without a lot of fur and feathers, but they really get the attention of many fish. I used the one with the black tail and yellow eyes for largemouth bass quite a bit during the last year. They smashed it pre-spawn, during the spawn, and post-spawn.

It's only a size 10 hook, but I've landed quite a few bass in the 4-6 pound range with it. Other than getting the right amount of epoxy on there, it's a simple fly to tie.

-VB
Old 07-20-2013, 10:19 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Glass and Epoxy...Killer Combo

Send a few of those to Ard (or other Alaska Guys), bet they'd be killers for their Trout fishing.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:56 PM

Fred,

That's a great idea. I'll PM Ard to see if he's interested. A good friend of mine works at a local fly shop, and they've decided to sell a couple of my fly patterns, but they haven't gotten excited about this one yet, despite seeing it in action several times on a local lake.

I'm trying to get them to sell this one. I usually just trade for gear, so it all goes back to the store anyway.

-VB

Last edited by von behr; 07-20-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:11 PM

VB a 'pattern' works where you're at. Maybe not in So-Cal. waters. In BC/Alaska this thing could be a total killer. A U-Tube clip showing the thing in action could be a 'closer?'

Just thoughts.

fae
Old 07-21-2013, 09:49 PM

Fred,

I just might have to give that a try with the Go Pro. I pm'd Ard and will be sending him a few to try later this week.

Thanks for the suggestions.

-VB
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:08 PM

Thumbs up Re: Glass and Epoxy...Killer Combo

Good on You!

Edit: Random thought here only. Instead of 'Poxy, how about 'ShoeGoo' so you have a soft surface?
Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 PM

Fred,

I've never used ShooGoo. Does it dry as clear as the epoxy? If it's soft, won't it get beaten up when it hits a hard object?

-VB