The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By flymoron
  • 2 Post By bigjim5589

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 08:34 PM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default Who all custom ties flies for sale?

Is there a list of forum members who custom tie?

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:58 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Who all custom ties flies for sale?

What type of flies are you looking for? I tied commercially for about 15 years, gave it up about 10 years ago, and frankly don't have the time to do it now. If there's no forum member who can help you, I know some other commercial tiers who might be able to do so that I can put you in contact with, depending on the flies you need.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-20-2013, 09:35 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Whatcha looking for?
Old 07-20-2013, 10:38 PM

flymoron is on a distinguished road

mini-gurglers, size 10 or so

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

anyone can PM me with details, thanks

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Thanks, someone is getting me some
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 PM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

I know that no one likes it when people tell them that they can tie their own, and its all too common of an answer here, but I thought I'd take a different approach to it.

Here is really ALL YOU NEED to tie up as many gurglers as you'd likely ever use:

1x Standard cheapo vice ($10-$15 or maybe free from someone here)
1x bobbin ($6)
1x spool of black thread ($2)
1x Scissors (you already have these, I hope)
1x bag of hackle ($5)
1x strip of buck tail ($4)
1x length of chenille ($3)
1x square of craft foam ($1)
1x bag of hooks ($5)

And that is it. With these materials, you can get tie up your favorite pattern over and over and over for around $26 without vice and $36 with vice. Some of the items above could also be factored out if you have them or just want to leave them out.

With these basic materials, you could also tie up a bunch of other fly types. After a while, the shipping cost of purchasing gurglers time and again will pay for this cheap setup.

Like I said, I know its annoying to hear "tie your own" when all you want is a straight answer, but I thought this more detailed breakdown might just turn a little light bulb on.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:56 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Nick, but you didn't explain what happens when he becomes addicted to tying, and starts spending a small fortune on materials for other flies as well!
mcnerney and yonder like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-05-2013, 08:47 PM

nick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the roughnick k is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
Nick, but you didn't explain what happens when he becomes addicted to tying, and starts spending a small fortune on materials for other flies as well!
Shhhhhh! You weren't supposed to tell him that part.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:52 PM

delopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the roughdelopez is a jewel in the rough

Hahaha! Yeah... I have a tab at my local fly shop that I just pay on every once in a while. I'm always "needing" something...
Old 08-07-2013, 04:00 PM

runningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nicerunningfish is just really nice

Oh no, not the Gurglers again. I started tying about a month ago because of the Gurglers. They are so fun to make, you can make a tiny gurgler or a giant one.