The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 2 Post By pszy22
  • 2 Post By rockriver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 12:36 AM

sirez is on a distinguished road
Default starting flies?

what are some good flies to start out with? looking for trout and panfish flies. there are bass in my lake but i dont seem to find any when i just throw out my spinner .
Old 08-18-2013, 12:48 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: starting flies?

My starter would be a wooly bugger - black, olive, brown. That followed by Clouser Minnow, then poppers, perhaps some regular dries and nymphs too, especially for the 'gills.

Besides getting a working fly you've got to get it near the fish so that brings in a lot of other factors.
pszy22 likes this.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:25 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Following William's sage advice, pretty big bass will take pretty small flies as long as you put your fly somewhere the bass will see it. I personally like to fish a smaller fly to primarily target bluegills, and find I catch at least my fair share of bass in doing so.

If you want to target the bass, you might be better off fishing a larger fly, the bass will be able to see it from a greater distance, so it could up your catch rate of bass. As flies get larger and larger, it takes more energy to deliver them, so at least for me, fishing smaller flies is a bit more pleasant.

The good news is, as a rule, neither bass or bluegill are particularly fussy about what they will eat. Again getting back to William's point, get the fly close to them, at least some of them will take it.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 08-18-2013, 07:16 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Great advise already posted!

Woolly Buggers are wonderful patterns, and the colors that William suggested are the most used, but don't over look white or chartreuse, as buggers can imitate many things, and these two additional colors are usually productive for panfish & bass.

This time of year, I would be in terrestrial mode. I don't do much trout fishing, but when I did, getting into late summer & fall I fished terrestrial patterns heavily. Crickets, hoppers & beetles, particularly those tied with foam, which floats well, are excellent for both trout & panfish. Small worm patterns, San Juan style or floating inch worms, can be very good too, particularly during or just after a rain shower.

Although I adamantly agree with Clouser Minnows, they're something I use a lot, and are extremely productive, if you're just getting started with a fly rod, be very careful with this type of fly, or any that are heavily weighted with metal. The barbell eyes used on Clousers, or beads & cones used on other patterns can do serious damage to a rod, should they strike it. They're also not something you want to be hitting yourself with either! If you go this route, be sure to mash down the barbs. Makes removal from clothing, your flesh or the fishes mouths an easier task.

Add a few simple poppers for the panfish & you'll have a great start to a good selection!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 08-18-2013, 07:29 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

If you do plan on fishing for trout, I'll tell you a little secret. Most of the time, trout aren't all that selective either. Unless there is a blanket hatch of something going on, it you put a fly where a trout can see it, and it looks at least semi edible, you'll catch some fish.

We like to make like trout have a PHD in entomology. guess what, they don't. When they are hungry, they don't particularly care if it's a cheeseburger, hot dog or chili fries that comes floating along. As a matter of fact, now I'm hungry.

Most important thing to remember - have fun!
mcnerney and williamhj like this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 08-18-2013, 01:43 PM

If you'd like to start tying your own flies, I'd suggest you take a look at this video. You don't need alot of flies, or fancy flies to catch fish, lots of fish.
They are cheap, easy and quick to tie, and work well on just about anything that swims -

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

Old 08-18-2013, 08:09 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Some thing for the sun fish is #38-431-075-03 bass pro poppers very cheap and they will give you some ideal on how to build them.

Rick
Old 08-18-2013, 09:13 PM

95chevy will become famous soon enough

I was at Walmart today and picked up some bass poppers. They had panfish poppers there as well. There are 3 in the bass poppers and the panfish ones had I think 5 in a pack. Either one was $6. I have some panfish poppers that I received from a member and they work great. So good that if the fish are there they WILL hit them. And the bass like em too.