The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 03:21 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Unidentified Fly

From Ray Bergmans Trout pg 478 plate 4:

Grizzly King

body: green floss
ribbing: gold tinsel
tail:scarlet
hackle: badger gray
wing: gray mallard

Personally I don't see that fly as being cheap. I think it's well tied myself and looks as though it has caught a few fish. If anybody wants to step up to the plate and show us a quality tie lets see your rendition. Mallard Flank is not the easiest feather to wing a fly with. Many of the vintage wets of that era were heavily hackled, the hackle was poor by to-days standards but the flies certainly did the job and are revered by many Bergmanites.
milt spawn likes this.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:46 PM

mooserocket is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Unidentified Fly

The fly was given to me as a part of a huge package of flies. A friend of mine got them given to him by a gentleman who owned his own fly fishing store.

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

After I took this picture i promptly casted and lost the fly. I had two of them and the first one did a amazing job catching grayling while i was fishing the bucking horse river in northern BC. Im very very new to flyfishing, I think I maybe addicted!!
milt spawn and williamhj like this.