The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 11:36 PM

mooserocket is on a distinguished road
Default Unidentified Fly

Click the image to open in full size.

Does anyone have a name for this little fly? I had a lot of success with it, and never did get to know its name.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:07 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Unidentified Fly

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I have seen this fly or similar over the years but don't have a name on the tip of my tongue. Are you tying this or did you come by them by other means? This is a large group and someone will name that fly for you.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-20-2013, 04:52 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Unidentified Fly

Following Ard's theme, I've tied flies 'from junk on the desk' that worked darned well. Put together with a bit of this, a bit of that and they worked very well.

One of the most successful trout flies I've ever had was tied by my Daughter Julie sitting on my lap tieing up bits and pieces as I nuzzled the back of her neck. On the 'business end' of a 5wt over a trout lake the darned thing just worked.

Fred
Old 08-20-2013, 07:14 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that I know what that is.
In hardware stores and bait shops you can sometimes buy these little round fly boxes where the top rotates to open separate little compartments where there's flies like the one pictured. They're not named flies or even remotely well tied. They're just cheap flies tied for pan fish or what ever.
Along side them in the store you'll see little size 10 cork poppers in the same boxes. Personally I like these but the hackle tends to unravel and you'll often need to repair them yourself.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:37 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Looks like the fly has all the ingredients except for the hackle in the pattern family of "the Professor". Could also be a variation of the "Grizzly King".

Can you describe the body color and the color of the ribbing? The Professor had red tail, yellow body with a gold rib and the Grizzly King had red tail, a green body with a silver ribbing.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
In hardware stores and bait shops you can sometimes buy these little round fly boxes where the top rotates to open separate little compartments where there's flies like the one pictured. They're not named flies or even remotely well tied. They're just cheap flies tied for pan fish or what ever.
Along side them in the store you'll see little size 10 cork poppers in the same boxes. Personally I like these but the hackle tends to unravel and you'll often need to repair them yourself.
yep...from the 7/11 collection of custom ties
Old 08-20-2013, 09:46 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

this might be it....Ray Bergman Collection – 152) Grizzly King | | Hatches Fly Tying Magazine

http://d25gtpn5p7hhlr.cloudfront.net...ng-550x412.jpg
Old 08-20-2013, 11:03 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The main reason that I think that it's one of these cheap boxed flies is that it looks like soft hen hackle tied in dry fly style.
That's characteristic of these flies that I'm thing about.... there's money "wasted" on quality materials
Old 08-20-2013, 02:25 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting to read the discussion. I've caught some nice fish on cheap flies - great bass on walmart poppers for example. If you like the flie(s), take some superglue or buy some head cement and put a drop of it on the thread wraps right behind the eye. Doesn't take much but it can extend the life of a fly.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:49 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
That was my original thought exactly but I figured I'd let someone else chime in this time! Lots of Super Glue!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser