The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 04:04 PM

jwide is on a distinguished road
Default Fly box foam

I have been looking at some fly storage boxes by Umpqua and others that use a slit foam material for holding the flies. I want to make some boxes for storage but need to make them higher capacity than those I've seen in the shops. Does anyone know where to purchase sheets of the foam material that I can glue into large plastic boxes? I understand I will probably have to slit the foam myself.

Jim
Old 09-03-2013, 05:50 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly box foam

See if you can get 1/4" or 3/8" craft foam from a craft store.

Cut it in strips with a rotary cutter on a cutting board.

Click the image to open in full size.

Use a pinking shears to cut a ">" pattern on one side and then cut slits at the apex of the ">". Glue strips into your box.

You end up with a fly box like this.

Another method is to cut the foam sheet to size and glue the foam sheet into the box. Then cut a long slit along the sheet and the hooks fit into these slits.
jpbfly, jaybo41, oarfish and 3 others like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-03-2013, 06:54 PM

jwide is on a distinguished road

Great post. Thanks for the details.
Jim
Old 09-03-2013, 07:20 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post

Use a pinking shears to cut a ">" pattern on one side and then cut slits at the apex of the ">". Glue strips into your box.

You end up with a fly box like this.

Another method is to cut the foam sheet to size and glue the foam sheet into the box. Then cut a long slit along the sheet and the hooks fit into these slits.
I used the latter method to replace foam in a very old Wheatley box I came across. The foam had rotted out. I put some paper inside, traced the perimeter and cut it. Another thing you could do is use magnetic sheets but you want to make sure you get sheets strong enough to hold your flies. I bought some from Staples that don't really hold flies. The ones you buy that are geared towards making magnets from business cards hold much better.

By the way Sliver, you tie your squirrels as I tie mine. I've found the UV collar makes a significant difference in grabs. Not to say the original version isn't a fine fly in it's own right.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:55 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Pink Squirrels are a popular Wisconsin Pattern.

I did several of the boxes above. That one with the flies went to our TU State Council Banquet as a silent auction item.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 09-03-2013, 10:38 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post

Those things ROCK. Well worth the price of the cutting mat, rotorary cutter, 'ruler/guide' and blade sharpener!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:19 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by random user View Post
Those things ROCK. Well worth the price of the cutting mat, rotorary cutter, 'ruler/guide' and blade sharpener!
My wife scrapbooks and teaches it so I have access to tons of fun stuff like that.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 11-18-2013, 08:26 PM

mojo kayak is on a distinguished road

I built a large fly box the other day. I used 4 sheets of 2mm craft foam glued together with aerosol spray adhesive. I used a ruler and sharpie to measure and mark where to slit the foam. I slit the foam with a razor knife set to cut through 3 of the foam sheets. After putting the slits into the foam I used Gorilla Glue to hold the foam into a plastic pistol case that I roughed up with some steel wool. I the foam holds flies nice and tight.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:49 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough
Question Re: Fly box foam

yep,
I'm looking for a source of craft foam to make some storage boxes for back up flies.
I need a winter project....
where do you guys get your closed cell foam, what thickness and so on?

thanks for your reply

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 12-28-2013, 08:40 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Hey Buzz, see post #2.....
1/4 or 3/8 foam.
It's available at craft stores.
You can also use 4mm.
Try Walmart's craft department, or Michaels, Roberts, Zims, or whatever your local yellow pages has under craft supplies.
Happy crafting, Monkey Boy !
ia_trouter likes this.