The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 09:34 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Before and after Baetis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
I 'hate' threads like these ..... I couldn't even thread a leader onto a hook that small.

*laughing*.... Fred your gonna have to get a ghillie !
Old 09-23-2013, 05:38 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Would you post a how to ?

Rick
Old 09-23-2013, 07:35 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarfish View Post
Would you post a how to ?

Rick

Rick,

What I am attempting to imitate with this fly is the dun emerging from the nymph right at the surface. The nymph, the back part of the fly and the dun the palmered grey hackle along the shank. The quill wings add to the illusion and also help the fly to float. I put a white or cream hackle up front so that the fly can be seen from a distance. There is a lot of confusion for the fish to look at...some parts below the surface and the remainder dimpling the surface.

The fly is a lot more than most will want to screw with but I have the time and don't mind the effort. Saying that, the fly only takes me slightly longer than tying a traditional fly. The breakdown:

A sparkle of gold tinsel to start with, a tag to suggest gas the nymphs use for emergence.

Three fibers of gold pheasant tippet to suggest an emptying shuck. Hook shank length.

A clump of Antron or any thing to imitate the thorax. Just a pinch doubled on the thread and secured to the shank. Trim it tapering along the tippet. Half the tippet length.

The budding quill wings are next...tie them any length you can handle. Use a pinch and wrap technique with the quills spreading away from each other.

Attach a dun hackle and one peacock herl and cover the quill butts with two turns of herl.

Tie light colored hackle in one eye back for the face of the fly.

Wind the dun forward in relatively tight turns and tie off and clip. Wind the face hackle back to the dun and tie off. Wind your thread forward through the hackle and make a small whip-finished head.

An emerger from the web....

Google Image Result for http://www.fieldandstream.com/files/imagecache/photo-article/photo/23/emergingmayfly.jpg

or something like this is what I'm after.