The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 04:16 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Before and after Baetis

Nymph...

Click the image to open in full size.

Dun....

Size #20 in my neck of the woods at the beginning of the season about April...last brood in September about #24. These are 20's.

Your neck of the woods?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Before and after Baetis

All I had was size 20 this weekend on Kelly's spring creek, could have used 22's or maybe 24's, but some small RS-2's saved the day.

Larry
Jackster and mridenour like this.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:18 AM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold

Larry,

You live in Trout Fishing Heaven...I envy you.

Such big water, big fish, and such tiny flies huh.
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by calftail View Post
Larry,

You live in Trout Fishing Heaven...I envy you.

Such big water, big fish, and such tiny flies huh.
Yes indeed! With normal tactics we found landing the fish to 18" on those tiny RS-2's worked. There wasn't much in hatches coming off yesterday, but I noticed these gray stillborn nymphs floating in the water and that is when I changed out to the RS-2 and started catching fish, but ever so often these big browns would come out of the weed beds and rip through the pool chasing the cutties off. I hooked three of those big guys but each time after the hook set they would make a run straight for the weed beds on the opposite side, I would palm the reel to try and keep them out of the weeds but something always broke, but it was fun anyway.
Jackster, williamhj and mridenour like this.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:31 PM

I got spooled on the Ranch because of the weeds. I hooked into a tank and the rainbow went nuts for the first minute or two jumping like only they can do and made a downstream run then circled back and cut through a wide swath of weeds heading back upstream with all the weeds attached to my fly line. The weeds went downstream and ran my backing to the arbor knot and I couldn't recover any line because the knot was slipping on the reel. I was chest deep in the water had to throw my rig up in the high grass next to the bank. The fish was still on when I picked up the rod and reel and managed a turn to catch the backing and recover the line with a L of of a bend in the rod due to the weight of the weeds attached to the line. I eventually landed the fish...she was a good'un.

Nowadays I throw a clove hitch of backing over the arbor knot to prevent the spooled line slipping on me.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:49 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

All that's missing is the spinner.
Sweet ties none-the-less!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:00 AM

Jackster,

Thanks for the compliment.

The baetis adult spinner has always been a puzzle to me. I know the adult goes subsurface to lay eggs and from there I'd only be guessing about it's availability as food for trout. I can honestly say that I have never witnessed a baetis "spinner fall" so I have not felt it necessary to tie a spinner pattern for hatch matching here in the west.

Tricorythodes, on the other hand, is the exact opposite to me. I forget the nymphs and duns in the early morning hours and wait for the rings to start and fish the tiny white-winged black spinner.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:31 PM

So here's a tweener....middle of before and after baetis. Before and after nymph and dun are easier to tie so I reserve this one for the really fussy fish. An emerger...........

#20...olive thread, gold tag, golden pheasant tippet shuck, brown antron clump with duck quill for emerging wings, peacock herl thorax , medium dun hackle and a face of cream hackle.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:52 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

That there 'tweener' will work all over I betcha. Nice.

I used to use a stripping basket on the Henrys Fork late in the summer to eliminate snagging floating weed pads from snagging my loose line.
The last time I fished the Fork in August I swore I would bring a spey rod to see if the extra length would help me mend out of the weeds.

That's great that you landed that fish.
Just hooking a fish there can be challenging then then the weeds make it that much more so.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:06 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Before and after Baetis

I 'hate' threads like these ..... I couldn't even thread a leader onto a hook that small.
skrap likes this.