The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By bigjim5589
  • 1 Post By turbineblade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 12:40 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Redfish flies!

Taking some vacation time next week to try to get my first Redfish on a fly. I've got plenty of flies, just never had many opportunities. I'll be visiting a friend in Wachapreague, VA, who says he's been doing well with Bendbacks. However, being it's an addiction of mine, and one can never have too many flies, I tied these up.

2/0 hooks, each about 3 to 3/1/2" long.

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney, von behr, argail and 2 others like this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-11-2013, 01:50 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Re: Redfish flies!

I'm a Virginia -- but got my first red a few weeks ago with Seth Vernon down in NC . Mine hit a shrimpy/fishy, imitative pattern with bead chain eyes, craft fur, rubber legs, and an overall brownish appearance.

According to the guide and everyone I've talked to, just about anything works if you present it correctly. I'd bet literally every single fly you posted above would be great
Old 09-11-2013, 02:00 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Thanks! I'm hoping that will fit the plan!

I've got other flies I'll be taking, these are just what I tied up recently.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-11-2013, 03:18 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

From my experience with the trip down there I definitely learned that casting an 8-weight to 80' with my beadchain flies and a 8' leader was NOT the same as casting an 8-weight with a 10' leader and a heavy lead-eyed fly with a 15 mph breeze ;0. It was humbling, but I get better and better.

Then again, some of the casts were most difficult because they were super short, right against the boat. No fly line out = crappy cast if you are like me and aren't prepared for it.

Fly pattern was the least of my concern, lol. Yours are pretty though -- I hope you tear 'em up!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:44 PM

I'm going to be rusty with my casting, as I haven't done much this year. I'm hoping the wind is kind to us, but it never has been so I'm expecting the worse!

I was going to take a spinning rod with me too, but have decided against it. Too tempting to set the fly rod aside if the wind doesn't cooperate. I've got plenty of experience with casting & wind, but it has been awhile.

I want to catch my first fly caught Redfish, so hopefully this will be my opportunity, or it might just be casting practice. Either way, I'm going strictly with the fly rod!

I'm heading down to VA in the morning. We'll see how it goes!

Old 09-20-2013, 04:27 PM

Just got home from my trip! Had a wonderful time! Only caught 2 Reds, and lost 2, but the ones I caught were about 4-5 lbs for my first & about 7 lbs for the second. What awesome & beautiful fish for the fly rodder! I understand why folks love to chase them on grass flats!

The first fish was caught from the side of the road on Sunday evening! It took one of my unweighted Bendbacks that I posted above. That fish was about 17-18" long.

My second fish was caught today & was the result of a long cast of about 15'. It took a fly literally at my feet. I was watching another fish that was out of casting range, with hopes it would move towards me. There was a ditch between me & that fish, and by the time I could have waded around the fish would probably have been gone. Never got a chance to cast to it, but looked down & noticed a subtle swirl at the far edge of the ditch & the grass was moving. There was no wind at all. I had about 3 ft of line out the top guide & about a 9 1/2 ft leader & tippet, & swung the fly towards the far edge. As I started to lift the fly the leader moved sideways & I set the hook. The ditch exploded! That fish was about 24" long and took a fly with a red/pearl Estaz body & tan rabbit strip tail & very small barbell eyes.

What a great week we had. My friend Peter had not really explored this flat & wasn't sure about wading on it. He's from the New England area & they just don't have the mud flats we have here in the mid Atlantic. But since I had spent quite a bit of time in the past wading around marshes I went on in & the bottom was quite firm. We did a lot of exploring & saw dozens of fish!

Thursday morning we got on the flat before the tide. It was a full moon tide too. I stood in one spot & waited for the water to cover the flat & for the fish to arrive. The water depth was about 10" to 14" average, a bit higher than it had been earlier in the week. Peter caught one Thursday, I caught none, but had cast to 4 fish & saw many more. I just couldn't seem to get the fly down to them, or I spooked them. Everyone I cast to came within 25 ' of me. The last one looked to be a good size & I spotted it tailing behind me in the grass about 40 ' away. Unfortunately it was moving straight at me. My last cast to it spooked it.

Of course this trip certainly will not make us experts on Redfish. But I believe we both learned a great deal & had a lot of fun doing it.

It's only a 3 hour drive to Peters house from mine, so I'll be going back!