The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 08:38 PM

jason k is on a distinguished road
Default New to Fly Tying..Need help w/Hornberg fly and warm water flys

Hello,
I am from north western Iowa.I have no fly fishing shops around me whatsoever. The closest one is over 300 miles from me in MN.There is a few outdoor stores like the backwoods man in omaha neb and Bass Pro in Des Moines Ia,but they don't know nothing at all about fly fishing here.The last time I picked up a rod I was 14 years old my father tought me how to cast the best he could.Now I am 40 years old I am picking back up the sport.I bought a TFO Professional rod in 5wt for now and I am using my hardy reel with the old line from the 80's.I am going too be putting on new line here soon. Plus I want to start making my own flies being there is no whatsoever fly shops around. I am going too be fishing warm water fish only. I will be starting out with bluegill. I know a few good ponds around that has good sized bluegill,bass,perch and crappie.
Here is what I have lined up for tying.Peak vice,Dr Slick scissors,tienco bobbins and whip tool. I plan on tying the hornberg fly for the bluegills. The reason being I remember my father using it and had very good luck with the hornbreg fly size 12.
Now here a few qustions I have so far. I got this off orvis and youtube. Recipe is Black 6/0 thread,flat silver tinsel,yellow hackle tips,mallard flank feathers,Brown and grizzley hackle feathers.Now I seen on youtube there are two different colors of the hornberg fly. One is more lighter in color the other is more darker in color Oh what kind of hackle should I get for the hackle feathers?(cape or flank feathers)Whatway is the right way? I have been reading here on the froum for a few weeks now off and on when I have time I am going to ordering a few books as posted on the froum here so I start learning so good habbits I am sure I am going too have bad ones to just like my casting ..lol..Anyways am I jumping over my head with this fly.I would like to learn with fly's that would work bluegill fish for now.I see mostly poppers for panfish on the net. I do not want to go that way. Any input would greatly help me. I feel like I am heading in this blind,so I need light to shed light on the matter..

Sorry about the long post.I thought I would throw it all out there.

Thank you for all you time.
Jason
Old 09-14-2013, 08:54 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: New to Fly Tying..Need help w/Hornberg fly and warm water flys

Jason, welcome to the site & back to the sport! The Hornberg is one of those patterns that can be tied as a dry fly, a wet fly or as a streamer. Color shades can vary greatly with most patterns, depending much on the supplier of the materials & often geographic location, and of course personal preferences. It's doubtful it will matter much which shade you use. However, the style of the fly will dictate the type of hackle. The Mallard flank is standard on that pattern. The brown & grizzly hackle can be from a rooster neck or saddle for the dry fly version, or from a hen or rooster for the wet fly & streamer versions. You would want dry fly quality for the dry fly version, which is for floating the fly on the surface. Hen hackle, or softer rooster hackle, being softer will absorb water more quickly & aid in getting the fly to sink in the wet fly or streamer versions.

There is not much difference in the wet fly & streamer versions except perhaps hook sizes & length.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:55 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

In Maine where they're usually fishing for brook trout, red is the most popular color for the Hornberg under-wing.
Me ? I tie most of mine with chartreuse.
You don't even need to use hackle tips for the under-wing. It's the color that matters. Poly yarn, bucktail, synthetic hair,... they're all good.
The hardest part with Hornbergs is choosing the right matching mallard flank feathers and then tying them in so that they "tent" correctly without spinning. That takes some practice.
A single feather tied in flat across the top is an easy way to cheat.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:00 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

That's one of my favorite patterns on my local river, I use yellow calf tail for the underwing and grizzly hen hackle for the front, tied with red thread instead of black.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:43 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

Welcome to this site Jason.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:59 AM

Thanks for all the welcomes. The tips so far are going to be helpful to me. I was woundering bear 007 is that jungle cock feathers on the side.Other tips and pix would greatly help me see other different styles made of the hornberg fly.I just hope I am not over my head with this fly for the frist fly. Oh if any of you have different recipes for the hornberg fly let me know too. I plan on tying this in a size 10 and 12 hook wet/dry fly.What name brand and kind hook would you all say is the best too go with thread size and tinsel size for a 10-12 hook..

Thanks again
Jason
Old 09-16-2013, 07:09 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Welcome Jason. (Do you realize what you are getting yourself into by picking up a flyrod and getting a vice?)

"Hornberg" - they are a myriad of variations on the theme: Hornberg, Hornberg Special, Bloody Hornberg, etc., tied both wet and dry, sometime with a single flank folded flat above the shank and on many different hooks.

With what you are doing, tie it to the best of your memory and fish it hard. It's a good old wet fly that will consistently produce.

My favorite variation is tied with wood duck flank / chart. under-wing / grizzly hackle. It's a local variation and it has worked well for me.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:35 AM

crazy4oldcars is on a distinguished road

As far as other flies for bluegill, pick any trout fly. Bluegill and trout eat about the same things, with the exception that usually aren't as picky. Usually.
For basic flies, I would learn the Gold-Ribbed Hare's Ear Nymph (GRHEN), either with or without a beadhead. The bead is better for deeper water. Also the Pheasant Tail Nymph (You guessed it PTN), again with or without the bead head.
Although you said you didn't want to fish poppers, try a Gurgler for topwater.
Its tied with closed-cell foam available at your local Wal.....Big box department store, in the hobbies section. There are a lot of other usable materials there as well. I wouldn't buy the beading wire, though, unless you are goung to tie MONSTER Flies. Its huge compared to fly tying wire.

Other material sources, including feathers (Peacock tails, duck feathers in a bunch of colors, ostrich, rabbit pelts...) is a local hobby store. You might want to bring a female with you, tho. They look at you strange when you go by yourself.

Oh, one other thing. There are a few tiers that have channels on youtube that are very instructional. Hans Weilanmann and Davie McPhail are the first 2 that come to mind. Great help on learning techniques.

A lot to chew on, but just take your time, and above all, Enjoy this stuff. *Its supposed to be fun.

Kirk

Last edited by crazy4oldcars; 09-22-2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Added Youtube references
Old 10-11-2013, 12:00 AM

I got some supplies for my hornburg fly. I am going to be taking on one more fly a black wooly bugger or should I tie another color to start with? Remember I am bluegill fishing for now. I checked the Iowa DNR site there is a 10 acre pond near me they stock with trout there 2x's a year.I plan on trying it later next fall. When I get better at casting and learning more about making flys.The DNR site said it is very rare to see someone using a fly rod in the state of Iowa..lol.Well now there is one more to count for..

Thanks for all the replies
Jason
calftail likes this.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:31 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Jason, IMO, black buggers are great for most any species. My all time favorite colors include black, various shades of "olive", white, & chartreuse. Keeping it simple, black is a perfect color to start with.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!