The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ia_trouter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 08:31 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light
Default Good source for flies online

I intend to get into fly tying this winter, but I will need to buy them to get me through fall. What is your favorite source for quality flies at a reasonable price? Looking for sources with reasonable shipping as I won't be buying large quantities.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good source for flies online

Take a look @ Allen Flyfishing, their one of our business members. Flies - Allen Fly Fishing Store

Great company with even better customer service.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-19-2013, 08:47 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hills Discount Flies and The Fly Stop are where I order from when I don't order flies from a shop or tie them.

Both are reasonable shipping. If there are specific patterns you're looking for, you may want to try and buffer your stock with a regional shop.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:33 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Big Y Fly Shop is a super cheap place to buy flies at too. The quality lacks compared to shop tied, or personal tied flies, but they get the job done when you don't tie your own.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:58 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

thanks, just placed an order with Allen's. Their prices are sure good. I believe I may have ordered some panfish flies from Hill's when I had a false start on flyfishing a few years ago.

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted4887 View Post
Big Y Fly Shop is a super cheap place to buy flies at too. The quality lacks compared to shop tied, or personal tied flies, but they get the job done when you don't tie your own.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement Ted. Not looking for the cheapest flies I can find. I can get that on ebay. Just want to try a wide variety of patterns without breaking the bank, because I know I will likely buy some that will probably never catch a fish,
fyshstykr likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:04 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I used big y a lot when I first started. Like ted says cheap flies that get it done. Where else will you get flies for around .50ea. :-) Allen though has 20% of $15 or more in flies.