The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 AM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice
Default New to fly tying. I need some help.

Hello all.
I am new to fly fishing. I have been at it for about a year. I decided that I want to tie my own flies. I met a lady whose husband tied flies and unfortunatly he passed away. I have purchased most of his stuff. I got 2 vises and a threader, bobbins and few other tools that I do not know what they are. I have about 100 containers of necks and feathers and buck tails. The problem is I don't have any thread. I have been doing some reshearch and what does it mean 0/3 or 0/6 for the thread? I am thinking that it is the diameter. I also would like to purchase thread and wire and a whip finisher and hair stacker. I will be tying flies mostly for trout, so can you make any suggestions as to where I can purchase these items online and what brands are good ones. As for the hair stacker, do I get all three sizes or is there a size for trout flies? Any help you can provide will be greatly apperciated. Thanks Glen.

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 09-24-2013, 10:28 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: New to fly tying. I need some help.

Here is a (dated) basic primer on threads that has been posted before:

Frontrangeanglers.com - Choosing the Right Thread

I have a number of different hair stackers, but generally use the adjustable stacker from Griffin most often:

Hair Stackers

for wire, I use UTC from Wapsi and Lagartun (Hareline)

My whip finisher is my fingers or this ancient goodie from Thompson:

http://renegadefishers.com/tool/finisher/thompson.jpg

...next

PT/TB
mcnerney and mridenour like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 10-15-2013, 12:35 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

If you haven't already bought a whip finisher, give this knot a try. I've been using it for the past several years, it ties fast and easy, and holds well -

Gary Borger The Double Hitch

Have fun,
mcnerney and meathelmet like this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 10-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You are going to have many questions, I can say that with certainty because I still do. Instead of putting yourself through the years of self taught fly tying like many of us have done; is there anywhere that you could attend a class. Fly shops and high schools are 2 places I can think to inquire or contact your regional TU chapter and ask them.

Having someone to show you the way will beat breaking trail yourself.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what Ard mentioned about getting a few lessons, you will be miles ahead in the long run.

Larry

Old 10-15-2013, 01:37 PM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

follow on the Ard's advice. If you don't live in trout country you may not have an active local TU chapter close. but there may possibly be an FFF. My locall FFF gang holds fly monthly tying sessions, and also teaches at local libraries etc.
gzarboni and craigthor like this.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:31 PM

bambam is on a distinguished road

Search You Tube. There are many great videos. I self taught myself from these videos.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:48 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
Search You Tube. There are many great videos. I self taught myself from these videos.
Glen,

This is great advice. I've learned a bunch of different patterns and techniques from Youtube. Once I got rolling, the experimentation was on, but to get comfortable with the basics, Youtube has been an excellent tutor.

There are tons of step-by-step videos on there.

-VB
Old 11-03-2013, 05:54 PM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

Thanks guys. You tube does indeed have some great videos. I am also trying to get in touch with a gentlemen by the name of Claudel Dery. He is from Montreal. I read an article on him in Eastern Fly Fishing. He fishes the same waters I do and has some great fly patterns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 11-04-2013, 09:11 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

+1 to what Ard said about taking lessons. You'll learn how to do things the right way the first time, instead of doing it by guess and by gosh and repeating the same mistakes over and over again. I couldn't take any lessons where I live, but was fortunate enough to have an "old guy" friend who I salmon fish with who got me started and showed me the basics. Extremely helpful.

Another tip i have is to pick up a copy of Helen Shaw's "Fly Tying". It's a bit dated, has b & w photographs, but is a great fly-tying primer. Instead of containing the patterns and SBS instructions for specific flies, she shows you how to handle and tie on all the various materials you will ever use. Incredibly helpful.

Final tip: your first few flies won't look as good as the commercially tied ones you see in the shops. This matters not a bit. The fish can't tell the difference, and believe me you will catch fish with them. The important thing is that you learn to tie the flies you want to fish with, and fish them with confidence. When you catch that first fish with a fly you've tied yourself it's very satisfying.

Scott
Hardyreels, von behr and gzarboni like this.

Last edited by duker; 11-05-2013 at 09:30 PM.