The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 7 Post By von behr
  • 3 Post By williamhj
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 4 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By mridenour
  • 1 Post By tsubeta04

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 10:57 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default The Night Fury

A while back I posted a few pics of flies made with glass beads and epoxy, but I neglected to fully explain the process. Here's a quick tutorial with pictures showing the steps and materials needed.

I named this fly the Night Fury after the dragon in the animated film "How To Train Your Dragon," because my prototypes had dark beads and black tails.

Anyway, here's the process:

I start out with beads to fit the hook size. For reference, this particular tying session involved 1/0 Daiichi stainless saltwater hooks. I crimped the barbs to make room for the beads to slide on. The beads are 6/0 Japanese glass beads from a craft store.

Click the image to open in full size.Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Once the beads are on the hook, I tie some thread at the hook eye to make a small bumper of thread in front of the first bead. I whip finish the thread and then tie some at the back of the hook behind the last bead. This keeps the beads in place. Then I tie in some maribou and Krystal Flash to form a tail. Once that's done, I whip finish, and there's no more feathers or thread from this point forward.

After the back end is finished, I grab a couple of these and stick them on the second bead behind the hook eye on both sides:

Then I mix some 5-minute Z-Poxy and slowly apply it over the beads and the eyes to cover everything evenly. Once I have the right amount, I place the fly on the drying wheel and let it spin. The epoxy gets spread evenly by the motion of the drying wheel.

The end result is a pretty cool little fly that can be made in any size or color combination, depending on the hooks and beads you choose. This 1/0 size will be a killer pattern for bass. You can see that the bead color sets the tone for the entire fly as it is reflected through the clear epoxy.

Cheers,

-VB
Old 10-30-2013, 12:02 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Night Fury

Great pattern. Love the way the hook shank creates a lateral line!
mcnerney, von behr and mridenour like this.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:29 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

VB: You've outdone yourself, that is a fantastic looking bass fly!

Larry
von behr and mridenour like this.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hey,

I have a couple of Eric's Fury Flies and can tell you they will catch for you. On the last trip down the Peninsula fishing for steelhead I was drawing a complete blank. Not even a Dolly or a trout had been caught......... nothing. So..I tied on one of the flies as seen here and cast to the same spot I had just finished swinging a big fat Sculpin through and the first 2 casts brought 2 char up. The third fish took another half hour to find but the fly saved the day.

No steelhead were caught but I don't believe there were any present or I'd probably have a picture

Nice post VB,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-30-2013, 08:49 AM
mridenour

That's amazing! Wish I had time to try making those before I go after steelies next weekend. Great photos and info.
von behr likes this.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:49 AM

tsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nicetsubeta04 is just really nice

Nice looking fly....

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
von behr likes this.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:28 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Thanks guys. It's a fun and simple little pattern to tie. The possibilities and color combinations are limitless, and the largemouth bass love these things.

It would seem the char approve of them too.

-VB
Old 10-30-2013, 09:44 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Superb! Those would work well as a Bay Anchovy or Glass Minnow in the salt too!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-30-2013, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the feedback on these. Ard, I'm glad to hear they worked up there on those char. I've used them primarily for LMB's, so it's good to know they can be effective on other species as well.

My wife recently bought me some new bead colors to try, so here's an update with a few more samples:

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:12 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hey,

I have a couple of Eric's Fury Flies and can tell you they will catch for you. On the last trip down the Peninsula fishing for steelhead I was drawing a complete blank. Not even a Dolly or a trout had been caught......... nothing. So..I tied on one of the flies as seen here and cast to the same spot I had just finished swinging a big fat Sculpin through and the first 2 casts brought 2 char up. The third fish took another half hour to find but the fly saved the day.

No steelhead were caught but I don't believe there were any present or I'd probably have a picture

Nice post VB,

Ard
I was always curious what the outcome of him sending those to you was.

Thanks for sharing it here.