The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 07:47 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: What exactly are scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
scud.....shrimp !!

both look like seafood to me!

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Doc is dead on with them being a main food source. Stillwater fishing I use scuds, sow bugs and
Chironomids anytime the fish are holding deep. I will use an indicator with 20' to 30' leader, or you can do the Chan thing of sinking line straight down. I like the indicator, specially if there is a little chop to the water. Gives it a nice up and down bounce. Around weed beds is great for scuds on choppy water cause they get washed out and will float around.
I can't wait for Chironomid season or seasons ;-).
Old 02-19-2008, 08:39 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

joni is there any recipe for a 20 foot to 30 foot leaders? I wanted to fly fish lake erie this summer on my boat but the water can get deep. need to get down with clousers and monnow imitations but didn't wanna use the sink lines. pm if ya got a link or something so I don't steal this thread.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
joni is there any recipe for a 20 foot to 30 foot leaders? I wanted to fly fish lake erie this summer on my boat but the water can get deep. need to get down with clousers and monnow imitations but didn't wanna use the sink lines. pm if ya got a link or something so I don't steal this thread.

I don't use any taper. Just straight fluorocarbon. It doesn't cast worth a dang. It is a lob it out and kick backwards till I am over the spot. I do use sonar, for depth and structure.
I don't use clousers so I am not sure how that will work, sorry.
I do use a full sink line on minnow imitations. I want them to go more horizontal, where scuds and Chironomids I want Vertical.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:17 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
The only shrimp in the Rocky Mountains is the Brine Shrimp of the Great Salt Lake or the ones on my plate with a lot of Garlic Butter...Mmmmmmm
I'm not sure where you draw the line on what is or is not a "shrimp", but Mysis shrimp which I believe share phylum (Anthropoda) & subphylum/class (crustacea) with other shrimp are fairly common in several tailwaters of the Rockies. The Gunnison, Blue River, and Fryingpan Rivers are examples that come to mind as places where I have fished with Mysis shrimp imitations to match the naturals.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:29 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Here is a link that shows a bit more info on Scuds.
Amphipoda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gammarus setosus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most are actually saltwater species we only have two that are common. The only way to tell them appart is by looking their antenna. Though doing so in the field wont matter and fish aren’t going to care when they are eating one. Just think of the fact that flies and mosquitoes are in the same classification but are completely separate. So are shrimp and scuds might be in the same Order but are in different families. Same thing as lobsters and crabs...close but completely different. Oh and the proper names for the freshwater scuds are Hyella and Gammarus.

This also goes along with names like starfish...ITS not a fish.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWCC View Post
I'm not sure where you draw the line on what is or is not a "shrimp", but Mysis shrimp which I believe share phylum (Anthropoda) & subphylum/class (crustacea) with other shrimp are fairly common in several tailwaters of the Rockies. The Gunnison, Blue River, and Fryingpan Rivers are examples that come to mind as places where I have fished with Mysis shrimp imitations to match the naturals.
I agree 100% with you. I tried to correct my JOKE with the tailwaters crustacea. They are here and a safe bet for fishing.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:47 PM

Fox Statler will become famous soon enough

Scuds are not related to shrimp at all. Shrimp are an aquatic animal scuds are an aquatic insect. Scuds are related to Sand Fleas. Scuds have five times more protein sowbugs. If scuds and sowbugs are in your stream they could be as much as 75% and more of your fish's diet, "Nymphing for Larger Trout" by Brooks. Scuds are a backwards swimmer that swim blindly bumping into things. The best presentation is under an indicator and in choppy water as stated earlier by someone. However Scuds are a preference food because of the high protein level and will be consumed by fish any time they are available over sowbugs or midges. Scuds and Sowbugs are found in most springs and tail-races. In the Ozarks Mountains they are found in almost every spring and are a food staple of the trout in the Ozarks.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:11 PM

doc will become famous soon enough

Just thought I'd post a pic and recipe of my favorite scud pattern.

Click the image to open in full size.

RECIPE
HOOK: Sizes 12 to 16 C49S Mustad
WEIGHT: Lead wire
THREAD: Tan 8/O
RIB: Fine gold wire.
BODY: H&H Rainbow sow scud dubbing
SHELL BACK: Stillwater Solutions calibaetis midge flex 1/8"

click the link for step-by-step tying instructions.
Star Scud pattern

Cheers,
Doc
Old 05-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a good pattern Doc.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*