The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 10:31 AM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough
Default simple caddis pupa pattern?

I'm working on caddis patterns this winter. LaFontaine sparkle caddis is pretty easy so are some of the elk hair/deer hair adult patterns
I am looking for a generic easy to tie caddis pattern, any help appreciated
Davie McPhail's version of the ballon caddis looks good , what do you think?

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 11-22-2013, 11:01 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Default Re: simple caddis pupa pattern?

This is really easy and effective. It was developed by Craig Matthews for the Mother's Day hatch on the Madison River:

Click the image to open in full size.

GUIDE SERENDIPITY

Hook: TMC 5262, # 14-18

Thread: Gordon Griffith’s 14/0 Black

Abdomen: Chartruse Zelon. 1/3 hank, twisted over hook

Wing: White Zelon

I also tie it in Amber, Tan, Olive and Black...sometimes I will mix in two contrasting strands of Krystal Flash...use either spooled Antron or Zelon...it works !!!

Sparkle Pupa work well too...these are an updated version of the original GLF pattern developed by Eric Slagle and featured in the Spring 2006 issue of Fly Tyer Magazine...

I would also suggest John Barr's GRAPHIC CADDIS...Charlie Craven has a great tutorial on this pattern, on his site...

PT/TB
mcnerney, jaybo41 and tpo like this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 11-22-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:12 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I'd tie the Tabou Caddis Emerger. You don't need the special Chic-a-bou in the recipe. Use the after shaft (philoplumes) feathers from pheasant body feathers.

Stretch Magic can be bought at Michaels, JoAnnes, or Hobby Lobby craft stores.

The Tabou Caddis Emerger - Simplistic Buggyness Using Two Materials - Global FlyFisher

Here's a video using slightly different materials to tie the fly

mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-22-2013, 11:34 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Here's one you can tie easily, and quickly..
Scud hook; bead; micro chenille; peacock herl.
Clip off end of chenille and burn lightly with flame.

mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Buzz: Here are a few Caddis patterns posted by Cicvara (who is a phenomenal fly tier) that you might find interesting.
caddis larva-

wet caddis

caddis emerger

cdc&elk caddis

Also if you use the advanced search function, then search for the word caddis in the fly patterns forum here is the result, you might find something interesting here:
The North American Fly Fishing Forum - Search Results

Silver: That Tabou Caddis pattern is one of my favorites!

Edit: Here is another great Caddis pattern that Joe ties:
Diving Caddis...

Larry
jaybo41 likes this.

Last edited by mcnerney; 11-22-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:31 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Buzz: Here are a few Caddis patterns posted by Cicvara 9who is a phenomenal fly tier0 that you might find interesting.
I really like those Larry, just my style
Old 11-22-2013, 06:36 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb Re: simple caddis pupa pattern?

excellent, I knew you guys had some nice ones sashed.
I've been studying all i can of LaFontaine's work.
the philoplumes have intrigued me for years, I'll try some on my next batch. I think there is a fly pattern calling for the philoplume?
so later this evening I'll get down to it.
thanks for your reply

buzz

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post

Jimmie,
I will try this one . I have the micro chenille, just got some from a friend the other day. I can source the beads tomorrow.
I can do cicvara's caddis emerger, I'll sub cock partridge for hen.
I'm getting there.
all good
thanks
buzz

Norta Mudzoory
Old 11-22-2013, 08:42 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post

If you like the fly above, it looks to be similar to Fox's Poohpah. Here are some more Poohpah patterns with tying instructions. They can be tied with or without a metal or glass bead

"Fox's Poopah - FAOL"

Fox's Poopah

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-22-2013, 09:52 PM

I never knew I could use glass beads for bead heads till I read something in Schollmeyer's book about using glass instead of metal beads. I have tons of glass beads from making in-line spinners, so I'm going to give glass bead heads a try . makes no difference to me if the beads are prone to breaking.
thanks for the patterns guys!

buzz

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

I remember the pattern using the pheasant secondary feather, it is the "Picket Pin"
check it out , it is a very old pattern an early caddis imitation prolly from the Anglers Roost days.

buzz

Norta Mudzoory
Old 11-23-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
I never knew I could use glass beads for bead heads till I read something in Schollmeyer's book about using glass instead of metal beads. I have tons of glass beads from making in-line spinners, so I'm going to give glass bead heads a try . makes no difference to me if the beads are prone to breaking.
thanks for the patterns guys!

buzz
You can use glass beads for caddis bodies also.

Silver