The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Flies (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/)
-   -   How small is too small for a Wooly Bugger? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/339554-how-small-too-small-wooly-bugger.html)

busbus 12-09-2013 09:40 AM

How small is too small for a Wooly Bugger?

The recent Wooly Bugger thread was interesting and it got me thinking: how small can you make a Wooly Bugger and still have it be effective? I tie my own version of a bugger with simply a piece of marabou for the tail and then continue wrapping the marabou to the eye for the body. Sometimes I use a bead head and other times only lead wire to help it sink.

I was tying some of those up for tomorrow when I plan to go out and there were some bits and pieces of marabou feathers laying around that were too small but yet I could not get myself to throw them away. Then I thought about making some really small buggers. I made a baby one up on a size 18 hook. It is really small but it looks sort of neat. I was wondering if something like this would be worthwhile to tie? And, if so, would it work on really cold days like tomorrow when it might get up to 29 degrees (F)?

Trout are slugs on really cold days but they still have to eat. Will they even bother to chase a bugger this small? Or is it better to make them a little bigger to make it worth their while?

Still learning!

Thanks,
ray

craigthor 12-09-2013 09:56 AM

Re: How small is too small for a Wooly Bugger?

I've tied down to 16 with a 3x shank though I do have some 18's with a 3x shank I'll probably test and tie at some point. I've caught fish on a 16 bead head bugger with a slow strip retrieve.

jaybo41 12-09-2013 10:09 AM

Hey Ray,

I have a few of those Micro Buggers you're describing laying around. At least from my perspective, when you get that small with them, you're really replicating a nymph of some sort. I'd fish them as such. They're certainly worth trying, what do you have to loose?

Were you able to get out over the weekend?

busbus 12-09-2013 10:14 AM

No, I was not able to get out. I have had Tuesday planned for a couple weeks. It will be cold but I don't care...

You are right: this looks like s little white nymph. It is interesting. Do you think it will work on a really cold day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

jaybo41 12-09-2013 10:20 AM

Black, olive, brown would be my choices but give it a try and report back.

busbus 12-09-2013 10:26 AM

I have little pieces of those colors, too!

littledavid123 12-09-2013 10:43 AM

Trust me on this, a size 18 bugger works extremely well. ;)

Dave

r reese 12-09-2013 10:59 AM

I fish 12 14 16's a lot they do well

bigjim5589 12-09-2013 01:08 PM

I don't often tie anything smaller than a size 8 now, but expect if you could add the tail to a Griffith's Gnat in size 24 to make a bugger it would still get eaten by the fish! :rolleyes:

IMO, the main issue is finding appropriate hackle for proper proportioning as the hook size decreases.

Since I primarily tie bigger Buggers, hackle is not a problem. :D

busbus 12-09-2013 01:34 PM

Jim,

I just let the marabou be its own hackle as i wind it up the shank. I could possibly use ostrich herl.....hmmmm