The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 09:40 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold
Default How small is too small for a Wooly Bugger?

The recent Wooly Bugger thread was interesting and it got me thinking: how small can you make a Wooly Bugger and still have it be effective? I tie my own version of a bugger with simply a piece of marabou for the tail and then continue wrapping the marabou to the eye for the body. Sometimes I use a bead head and other times only lead wire to help it sink.

I was tying some of those up for tomorrow when I plan to go out and there were some bits and pieces of marabou feathers laying around that were too small but yet I could not get myself to throw them away. Then I thought about making some really small buggers. I made a baby one up on a size 18 hook. It is really small but it looks sort of neat. I was wondering if something like this would be worthwhile to tie? And, if so, would it work on really cold days like tomorrow when it might get up to 29 degrees (F)?

Trout are slugs on really cold days but they still have to eat. Will they even bother to chase a bugger this small? Or is it better to make them a little bigger to make it worth their while?

Still learning!

Thanks,
ray
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:56 AM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How small is too small for a Wooly Bugger?

I've tied down to 16 with a 3x shank though I do have some 18's with a 3x shank I'll probably test and tie at some point. I've caught fish on a 16 bead head bugger with a slow strip retrieve.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:09 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ray,

I have a few of those Micro Buggers you're describing laying around. At least from my perspective, when you get that small with them, you're really replicating a nymph of some sort. I'd fish them as such. They're certainly worth trying, what do you have to loose?

Were you able to get out over the weekend?
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:14 AM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

No, I was not able to get out. I have had Tuesday planned for a couple weeks. It will be cold but I don't care...

You are right: this looks like s little white nymph. It is interesting. Do you think it will work on a really cold day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:20 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Black, olive, brown would be my choices but give it a try and report back.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 AM

I have little pieces of those colors, too!

Old 12-09-2013, 10:43 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Trust me on this, a size 18 bugger works extremely well.

Dave
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:59 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

I fish 12 14 16's a lot they do well
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:08 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I don't often tie anything smaller than a size 8 now, but expect if you could add the tail to a Griffith's Gnat in size 24 to make a bugger it would still get eaten by the fish!

IMO, the main issue is finding appropriate hackle for proper proportioning as the hook size decreases.

Since I primarily tie bigger Buggers, hackle is not a problem.
mcnerney likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-09-2013, 01:34 PM

Jim,

I just let the marabou be its own hackle as i wind it up the shank. I could possibly use ostrich herl.....hmmmm