The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 09:47 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Standard Material on hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Ok, so after looking at Gary's materials I don't think mine borders on ridiculous anymore. By comparison, my materials are a modest collection
Ditto, but on further inspection I said to myself you just can't have enough fire orange thread.

To the original question there are a bunch of flies that you can tie with just a few materials like peacock herl; pheasant tail; black thread; copper wire; bucktail. Like most said I just buy material to tie a new pattern. Your collection will grow faster than you think that way.
meathelmet likes this.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:15 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
I don't know what "standard" you're talking about! I've been collecting materials most of my life! I tied commercially for many years & still have supplies I bought then. Plus, all the other tying items I've added in the last 10 years since I gave up commercial tying just to have on hand. Yep, I may even be classified as a hoarder too!

I don't have pics like Gary, but I likely have enough supplies to stock a fly shop!

This is one wall in my basement, & this is some of the hooks I tie on! I have a lot more tucked away in boxes! In all these years as a fly flinger, I've accumulated materials to tie just about anything, including jigs for use with other tackle. About the only flies I never tied were classic feather wing Salmon flies. I can cover most others!

BTW, I'm not just a fly angler, I make lures too and have plenty of supplies for that as well!
Click the image to open in full size.

The advise given about getting what you need for specific patterns to get you started is right on the money!
I'd say you are better stocked than the Cabelas near me.
craigthor likes this.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:57 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

I've also been wondering this as I want to get in tying. Mostly will be fishing dry flies for small creek brownies. Any suggestions on what type of material? (Manufacturer too, if possible)

Ryan
Old 12-11-2013, 04:19 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Ryan, my first thought is that you might determine what fly(flies) you wish to tie, then look up the "recipe" for it. That will pretty much tell you what you need to have in stock to tie the fly.

There are any number of reputable fly material dealers out there; several must be sponsors of this site.

Gary
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:26 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by repperson29 View Post
I've also been wondering this as I want to get in tying. Mostly will be fishing dry flies for small creek brownies. Any suggestions on what type of material? (Manufacturer too, if possible)

Ryan
If you get some tailing materials like Antron yarn, Pheasant Tail, Coq De Leon or hackles from an inexpensive cape you will have your bases covered. I love CDL for tailing material, its very durable.

Dubbing in a variety of colors for the body and you can use CDC feathers and fine deer hair for the wing. I got a good piece of advise years ago when I started tying flies and was contemplating the capes for dries. Go with fine tipped deer hair and tie them Comparadun style until you know you want to keep tying. Capes aren't cheap.

UTC 70 thread Gordon's Griffith, or Veevus are my go to's for dry flies.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:54 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Ryan, my first thought is that you might determine what fly(flies) you wish to tie, then look up the "recipe" for it. That will pretty much tell you what you need to have in stock to tie the fly.

There are any number of reputable fly material dealers out there; several must be sponsors of this site.

Gary
This would be my advise as well. You may wish to start with patterns you have already used with success. Perhaps 2 or 3 patterns and perhaps 2 sizes if it's applicable to your fishing. Some folks will have success with a single size of a specific pattern.

If you've been buying your flies, then keeping a sample will allow you to know what the end result should look like. Research the recipe, and there are many online & in books, and select what you need from the recipe list.

Then browse some suppliers & compare prices, and as Gary indicated there are many reputable sources. As far as brand names, some shops will have materials with their own labels, ( many only re-label, not actually process the material) while others will be selling supplies from the various wholesalers.

Wapsi, Hareline, Umpqua, Raymond Rumpf are a few of the brands you may see on display. Then there will be the hackle producers, such as Metz, Whiting, Collins, Keough and others. All of these process & package materials, and any of them can be good brands.

Keep in mind that any natural material, fur, hair & hackle will have some variations in quality and use for a specific purpose or pattern. Most experienced tiers develop a preference for obtaining specific materials from a specific supplier or brand. Until you get into tying, & gain some experience you really won't know what you'll prefer.

However, as long as you purchase reputable brands & from reputable sources, you should be fine. Beyond that, ask plenty of questions, particularly if you're unsure about what you need or whether you need it!
jaybo41 likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-11-2013, 05:52 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm trying to figure out what hatches are around my areas and when, is there a resource on the net for this type of stuff? I know mayflys are common here. I'm going to call my local fly shop tomorrow and see what's common around here.

But again thanks for all the help

Ryan
Old 12-11-2013, 06:14 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to think that I can tie useful flies from anything that I have lying around the house ....

That's a big temptation for me and it wouldn't be that hard for me to go that way but I've got tons of accumulated **** lying around after tying for almost 50 years.
Personally, if I have fur for dubbing (almost any kind), game bird hackle, peacock herl, bucktail, saddle hackle, thread and hooks,... plus normal household materials. I can tie almost anything that I need.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:22 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by repperson29 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm trying to figure out what hatches are around my areas and when, is there a resource on the net for this type of stuff? I know mayflys are common here. I'm going to call my local fly shop tomorrow and see what's common around here.

But again thanks for all the help

Ryan
Ultimate Angler?

I think you mentioned in another post that you fish Pine. Sandfly, a member here has a shop there. You should get in touch with him if you haven't been to it already.

These books are pretty solid. The first has more on the streams themselves and the second will really help you hone in on the hatches.

Trout Streams and Hatches of Pennsylvania; A Complete Fly-Fishing Guide to 140 Rivers and Streams: Charles R. Meck: 9780881504538: Amazon.com: Books Trout Streams and Hatches of Pennsylvania; A Complete Fly-Fishing Guide to 140 Rivers and Streams: Charles R. Meck: 9780881504538: Amazon.com: Books

Pocketguide to Pennsylvania Hatches: Charles Meck, Paul Weamer: 9780979346057: Amazon.com: Books Pocketguide to Pennsylvania Hatches: Charles Meck, Paul Weamer: 9780979346057: Amazon.com: Books
meathelmet and repperson29 like this.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:28 PM

changler will become famous soon enoughchangler will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathelmet View Post
Thanks fellas, I typically fish bass, bluegills, crappie, and the occasional carp. I intend to chase steelhead soon in either Michigan or Steel head alley in Cleveland.

Lots of patterns work well for both warmwater bass and panfish as well as coldwater species like steelhead. Muddlers, bunny leeches, and palmered marabou patterns like the Alaskabou flies all work well for warmwater species and trout/steelhead.

If that's your focus, I'd load up on marabou, bucktail, bunny strips, schlappen/rooster saddle, wool patches..basically anything which breathes when it's soaked in water. Add some flash material- flashabou, krystal flash, lite brite..as well as rubber legs and sheet foam. Black, purple, chartreuse, white, gray, brown/orange/yellow have all been proven effective for me, but your mileage may vary
meathelmet likes this.