The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 06:53 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Standard Material on hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Ultimate Angler?

I think you mentioned in another post that you fish Pine. Sandfly, a member here has a shop there. You should get in touch with him if you haven't been to it already.

These books are pretty solid. The first has more on the streams themselves and the second will really help you hone in on the hatches.

Trout Streams and Hatches of Pennsylvania; A Complete Fly-Fishing Guide to 140 Rivers and Streams: Charles R. Meck: 9780881504538: Amazon.com: [email]Books

Pocketguide to Pennsylvania Hatches: Charles Meck, Paul Weamer: 9780979346057: Amazon.com: [email]Books

Thanks for those reccomendations, just very subtly (aka telling her) my wife to put one of those in my stocking this year. Hopefully I've been a good boy this year.

And I do fish pine but was not aware of a fly shop down there, I'll definitely have to check it out his spring.

Ryan
Old 12-12-2013, 10:01 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb Re: Standard Material on hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
LOL, on any given day, I think I know about what I have. But I think I'm afflicted with hoarders syndrome. Like yesterday, I bought 2 golden pheasant skins and 4 whiting American hen necks...but you see, they were great deals (can't pass those up!) and, well, American hen necks are, uh, scarcer than hen's teeth. I just wish I had planned as well for my financial future as I have for my fly tying future!!!
Gary
hard to pass up a good deal, especially on golden pheasant skins, I would buy pheasant skins like most guys buy a six pack, one a day or one a week would be all good.
the material will build up spontaneously , time is the thing.
my old tying pal says don't just set it on the bench and look at it, use it.
some thread and an inexpensive imported dry fly neck, some floss, tinsel and your ready. if you don't get tired of breaking thread for hours on end and actually get the hang of it there wll be patterns galore to try.

oh chenille , get some chenille , any color will do, as long as it is black

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 12-15-2013, 03:05 PM

meathelmet has a spectacular aura aboutmeathelmet has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Standard Material on hand

Thanks for all the great advice...now my next question.....where? Any shops you guys recommend?