The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By dean_mt
  • 2 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 07:07 AM

jsxtreme has a spectacular aura aboutjsxtreme has a spectacular aura about
Default Flies for trout in the summer?

I've been fly fishing for 15+ years, but I've never fly fished for trout.

Next summer I am going to head up to the Au Sable River (in Michigan) for my first shot at trout. I plan on hitting a local fly shop for advice, but I wanted to collect some flies before then.

I'll be taking my 5WT and 3WT. Both loaded with S/A WF floating line.

What are some flies that I can use all summer with out having to match the hatch? I'm assuming some hopper patters and crayfish would be a good start.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:06 AM

jloncar will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Flies for trout in the summer?

I would suggest some dry flies. Some go to's are the adams, blue dun and some elk hair caddis in neutral tones (grey or brown) are pretty universal and are fun to fish. I would suggest getting an assortment of sizes of each and then pick up some more local flies when you arrive.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:22 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Caddis - not sure on size and color on the Au Sable, but caddis are around all summer on trout streams. And you don't have to "match" them like you do mayfly hatches, you can prospect with a generic caddis pattern throughout the day.

Beetles. Ants. Beetles. Ants.

Traditional soft hackle wet flies are great prospectors.

What time of the summer are you going to be there? The almighty Michigan Caddis (which isn't a caddis fly at all) aka the Hex (Hexeginia Limbata) mayfly is an epic hatch of truly giant mayflies. It's usually the beginning of July, as I recall.

The Au Sable is known for large brown trout, I would have some mice patterns and give it a shot at least one night. Also streamer.
mcnerney and hivizadams like this.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:46 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Gates Au Sable Lodge - Hatch Charts

Fly Fishing Michigan's Au Sable River
mcnerney and BigJim2x like this.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:15 AM

jsxtreme has a spectacular aura aboutjsxtreme has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Caddis - not sure on size and color on the Au Sable, but caddis are around all summer on trout streams. And you don't have to "match" them like you do mayfly hatches, you can prospect with a generic caddis pattern throughout the day.

Beetles. Ants. Beetles. Ants.

Traditional soft hackle wet flies are great prospectors.

What time of the summer are you going to be there? The almighty Michigan Caddis (which isn't a caddis fly at all) aka the Hex (Hexeginia Limbata) mayfly is an epic hatch of truly giant mayflies. It's usually the beginning of July, as I recall.

The Au Sable is known for large brown trout, I would have some mice patterns and give it a shot at least one night. Also streamer.
Oh I am well aware of the hex hatch. It's great fun. I just wanted to have an assortment of flies in the box that can be used at any time, in any condition. I don't really plan trips, when the time presents itself I just up and go.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll load up this winter.